Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
slippage on bends/tight turns
rchrdleigh

RE: slippage on bends/tight turns

There are a couple of other systems which will help:

Roll Stability Control (RSC)

While no technology can remove the need for safe driving practice, the Roll Stability Control (RSC) system can help the driver to maintain vehicle control and balance. If the system senses that the vehicle is approaching a tipping point, it will reduce engine power and use the ABS to increase the turn radius to help reduce the likelihood of roll-over.

Cornering brake control (CBC)

CBC is an automotive safety system. It is a further development and expansion of the anti-lock braking system, designed to distribute braking force during braking whilst cornering. It works by applying braking pressure asymmetrically despite physically difficult conditions (e.g. the car swerving towards the inside of the bend when the wheel load changes). By asymmetrically distributing brake pressure to the left- and right-side brakes or by reducing pressure (to the rear axle), even if the driver brakes outside the normal range of ABS.
16-10-2012 07:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gw76

A lot of interesting info there, thank everyone !
16-10-2012 11:01pm
speary

(16-10-2012 07:15pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  There are a couple of other systems which will help:

Roll Stability Control (RSC)

While no technology can remove the need for safe driving practice, the Roll Stability Control (RSC) system can help the driver to maintain vehicle control and balance. If the system senses that the vehicle is approaching a tipping point, it will reduce engine power and use the ABS to increase the turn radius to help reduce the likelihood of roll-over.

Cornering brake control (CBC)

CBC is an automotive safety system. It is a further development and expansion of the anti-lock braking system, designed to distribute braking force during braking whilst cornering. It works by applying braking pressure asymmetrically despite physically difficult conditions (e.g. the car swerving towards the inside of the bend when the wheel load changes). By asymmetrically distributing brake pressure to the left- and right-side brakes or by reducing pressure (to the rear axle), even if the driver brakes outside the normal range of ABS.

These systems are great technology but they dont HELP the driver recover, when they activate they do ALL the work in trying to recover a bad situation. If a driver got to the point where Roll Stability control kicks in, then without it the car would probably roll at which point the driver could do nothing to help.
Also remember that even the most advanced technology on a car can not overcome the laws of physics

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
17-10-2012 08:14am
PhilSkill

+1, Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim!

These features help to control a car on the limit but once passed the limit it will be unlikely to end well.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
17-10-2012 08:53am
Tony

(17-10-2012 08:14am)speary Wrote:  Also remember that even the most advanced technology on a car can not overcome the laws of physics

Or bad driving!

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
17-10-2012 09:40am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

With winter looming in the northern hemisphere one thing that people should remember is that because you now have a 4WD vehicle, you are not invincible.

Yes you will keep going when others cannot, but, and this is what a lot of people forget, because you have 4WD doesn't mean you can stop any faster than a 2WD car, in fact your stopping distances will be considerably increased because your car is heavier than most so the momentum takes over........
If the police and motoring organisations say stay at home then don't ignore the advice just because your car has 4WD, if you are already out when the bad weather comes on then you stand a better chance of getting home, especially if you have suitable winter tyres as well as 4WD. And don't forget the other idiots on the road in 2WD cars who can slide into your pride and joy and do it a lot of damage.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 09:51am by XFullFatTim.)
17-10-2012 09:48am
rchrdleigh

(17-10-2012 08:14am)speary Wrote:  These systems are great technology but they dont HELP the driver recover, when they activate they do ALL the work in trying to recover a bad situation. If a driver got to the point where Roll Stability control kicks in, then without it the car would probably roll at which point the driver could do nothing to help.
Also remember that even the most advanced technology on a car can not overcome the laws of physics

I couldn't agree more - all the technology available in your car: RSC, CBC, DSC, EBD, EPA etc will only reduce the chance of you losing control but will not totally prevent it as you say there comes a point where the laws of physics take over and if they do you're pretty well stuffed.
17-10-2012 10:48am
speary

(17-10-2012 09:48am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  With winter looming in the northern hemisphere one thing that people should remember is that because you now have a 4WD vehicle, you are not invincible.

Yes you will keep going when others cannot, but, and this is what a lot of people forget, because you have 4WD doesn't mean you can stop any faster than a 2WD car, in fact your stopping distances will be considerably increased because your car is heavier than most so the momentum takes over........
If the police and motoring organisations say stay at home then don't ignore the advice just because your car has 4WD, if you are already out when the bad weather comes on then you stand a better chance of getting home, especially if you have suitable winter tyres as well as 4WD. And don't forget the other idiots on the road in 2WD cars who can slide into your pride and joy and do it a lot of damage.

I take on board and agree with your comments but I am still looking forward to my first 4wd drive in snowy conditions. Having said that, where I live the first bit of snow we get the roads gridlock so I probably wont be able to go anywhere Crying

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
17-10-2012 01:35pm