Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
potential scam?? thoughts welcome
Daglass

potential scam?? thoughts welcome

I've been trying to sell my car privately and so far have had nothing but time wasters and ignorance.

However, my suspicions have been raised by a recent caller who seems very keen on the car.
While i realise a scan of the v5, photos galore, hpi checks etc are all par for the course his insistence that i bring the car to him so he can view it is worrying me.

This would involve a ten hour minimum round trip as he claims he needs his mechanic to see the car.

Despite offering alternatives such as a full service from a main dealer close to me his insistence remains.

Im suspicious, would you be?

Pure 5 Door, SD4, Orkney Grey, Pano Roof, Style 6 Alloys, Front Sensors, Rear Camera, Fogs, Tailgate
Ordered - October 15 2011
Built - March 30 2012
Delivery - April 18 2012
Sold - December 24 2014
14-03-2012 09:52am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: potential scam?? thoughts welcome

a scan of the v5 is all that would be required to order a replacement v5 in his name.
relieving you of the car during the night and selling on with 'legitimate' documents.

HPI check needs registration and chassis number IIRC.
I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to show someone the car... thats your time and petrol. If he is genuine he'll make the time.
10 hours is unrealistic, a reasonable offer is to have a local 'RAC' style PPI done at his expense but locally to you.
I would however be more wary now and maybe offer to meet in a mutual place (away from your house)... supermarket car park for example.

maybe thats a bit OTT, but you really can never be too sure these days.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2012 10:03am by RacingSnake.)
14-03-2012 10:02am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daglass

Chassis number/Vin Code are on the V5.
I am actually quite worried now.

Pure 5 Door, SD4, Orkney Grey, Pano Roof, Style 6 Alloys, Front Sensors, Rear Camera, Fogs, Tailgate
Built - March 30 2012
Delivery - April 18 2012
Sold - December 24 2014
14-03-2012 10:26am
Craig_d1

If he's that keen on the car, he'll come to you.....i wouldn't do a 10 hrs round trip on the off chance.
And don't let anyone plug anything into your car. My neighbour has just had his RRS nicked. They came to look at it and said they brought a mechanic to check it over and wanted to check it wasn't clocked or anything.
They then tried to sell him a spare wheel(we had just had our stolen, Haqd mine taken from my D4 too).
they then left and said they'd think about it. They phoned later and said they wanted a second look. he aranged to meet them at his office, and told them the time he'd be there with the car. Next thing he knows is that they don't turn up and his car is gone.
Police told him they prob cloned the key code and walked up and drove it off round the corner, changed the plates and an hour later it's being loaded on a container for shipping abroad.
To make matters worse, until it's been officially declared stolen(at moment listed as missing), he still has to pay finance, and he can't put his personal plates back on retention for another year
14-03-2012 10:27am
Sarcastrix

Sorry to tell you, but it's a SCAM. The scammers could use your cars details on a blank V5 document, either stolen or forged, to clone another car with your details.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8487381.stm

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2012 10:40am by Sarcastrix.)
14-03-2012 10:32am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you are going to make a scanned copy of your V5 or any other important documents many scanners now have the facility to add a "watermark" across the document, like COPY - I have a self inking rubber stamp that reads COPY, they cost peanuts from a good stationer. Even sticking a strip of "Post-it" note across some of the important data will spoil any fraudsters efforts to clone the docents

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-03-2012 10:46am
Daglass

seems very likely this is the intention and grabbing the car from me is an added bonus
ok damage limitation time - who do I need to contact about this?

Built - March 30 2012
Delivery - April 18 2012
Sold - December 24 2014
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2012 10:51am by Daglass.)
14-03-2012 10:47am
Sarcastrix

(14-03-2012 10:46am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Even sticking a strip of "Post-it" note across some of the important data will spoil any fraudsters efforts to clone the docents

Writing 'copy' on the V5 won't help however as you say, covering key areas of it such as the barcode is a must as that's the hardest part of the scammers to obtain as the VIN & Reg are on public display anyhow.

(14-03-2012 10:47am)Daglass Wrote:  seems very likely this is the intention and grabbing the car from me is an added bonus

I very much doubt they are after you car, just all the details. However, with a copy of the V5 they could obtain duplicate keys from a main dealer.

(14-03-2012 10:47am)Daglass Wrote:  ok damage limitation time - who do I need to contact about this?

There isn't anyone to contact as no crime has been committed.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2012 11:04am by Sarcastrix.)
14-03-2012 10:57am
Daglass

I very much doubt they are after you car, just all the details.

Not so sure about that as he has just emailed again asking me to bring the car over

Built - March 30 2012
Delivery - April 18 2012
Sold - December 24 2014
14-03-2012 11:03am
RacingSnake

Another mail asking yo to do the 10 hour trip?

as for the V5, it'll be the serial and doc number they're after - if sending a copy (albeit it's probably too late), I always blank these out with a post-it note... it's always been a tick box exercise to prove I have the paperwork.

Sadly, as said up there ^^ no offence has actually been commited.

On the flip side, it could well be genuine!!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
14-03-2012 11:07am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply