Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
my evoques weak head lights
mllcb42

RE: my evoques weak head lights

(20-12-2013 12:19am)Denham5 Wrote:  I had the lights checked at my local dealer and they are properly aligned. I can only confirm they are the worst xenons I have had on any car I have owned. Not a patch on the freelander.
But thanks for the replays

Replies not replays ,, need sleep

Odd. I've done dozens of hid retrofits over the past 10 years or so and have played with the best hid projectors on the market. The evoque isn't the best, but they are certainly better than average. What cars are you coming from that you've had this experience?
20-12-2013 12:22am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

There must be an issue with your xenons. Honestly, I've never had a car with such great overall lighting.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
20-12-2013 09:33am
BFGEvoqueMan

(20-12-2013 09:33am)IKM Wrote:  There must be an issue with your xenons. Honestly, I've never had a car with such great overall lighting.
+1.

Denham5

It does not matter which car brand you have; if it is fitted with a DS3 bulb like the RRE, then the OE bulb will be made by osram or philips. The shutter in the projector maybe a slightly different design but the light output will be the same from car brand to car brand unless there is an issue with your alignment or bulbs.

The shutter in the EU versions (inc UK) is a British American type so that the car can be driven on the opposite side of the road without the need to mask the lamp. The version on the FL2 was a standard EU shutter that had much more kick up to the kerb side and as a result had an adjustable shutter that could be flicked flat for when the car was being driven on the oposite side of the road. What this all means is that if you were used to seeing the whole of the hedge by the side of the road illuminated on your FL2, you will now only really see up to about the level of the top of the front wing (if not a bit lower).

The RRE shutter is a lot more generous than the current crop of BMW xenon's which are much more US DOT beam pattern and virtually flat (again, gets around the need to have an adjustable shutter for driving on the oposite side of the road).

This may explain your issue's, however, if you feel there is still a problem with your car, why not ask your dealer if it is posisble to test drive one of his RRE demo's at night and compare the light levels to see whether you are being short changed on your current car, or if it is just because the beam pattern is slightly different from what you had on your FL2?

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 09:46am by BFGEvoqueMan.)
20-12-2013 09:44am