Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
my evoques weak head lights
pointergirl

my evoques weak head lights

Hi sorry to ask such a girly question but at night i find the head lights absolutely rubbish ( hubbies citroen work van has better lights).Is there a simple/cheepish fix.
02-12-2013 07:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: my evoques weak head lights

Welcome to the forums pointergirl and no it isn't a girlie question as it has been raised recently here by some of our more macho members with Pures with halogen headlights.

A visit to Halfords for some better lamps is the answer - there are postings on the forum all about upgrading the halogens to more powerful bulbs. I'm sure somebody will be along shortly with a selection of links to the correct threads.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 08:10pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-12-2013 08:08pm
BA74

Felt the same as you when I got mine. I've just ordered the Xenon Conversion kit discussed in this thread. Very useful info within;

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Pure-hid-...done-today

Hope this helps...

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 08:20am by BA74.)
03-12-2013 08:19am
Denham5

hi with regards poor headlights, does anybody have any ideas on how to increase the range ahead of the car. i have xenons fitted but they are nowhere as good as the previous ones fitted to my freelander 2. spoke to local dealer and they admit they are very poor for xenons. they are auto levelling but is there a way to manually raise the level.
13-12-2013 08:19pm
mllcb42

Typically headlights have an adjustment screw that you can adjust to set the "default" position. Note that there are specific guidelines about where they should be aimed. The evoque with the xenons has some of the better headlights I've used, so if you're having issues, they're probably misaligned.
13-12-2013 09:15pm
IKM

(13-12-2013 09:15pm)mllcb42 Wrote:  The evoque with the xenons has some of the better headlights I've used, so if you're having issues, they're probably misaligned.
Same here, and I live deep into the countryside and I'm really delighted with the Xenons.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
14-12-2013 10:47am
BFGEvoqueMan

(02-12-2013 07:40pm)pointergirl Wrote:  Hi sorry to ask such a girly question but at night i find the head lights absolutely rubbish ( hubbies citroen work van has better lights).Is there a simple/cheepish fix.

Do check the adjustment. My Pure was delivered with the lights pointing upwards (light machine actually said +2 degree dip rather than -1.2 degree!). The lights was OK, but I upgraded to Ring Xenon +100% brighter bulbs and found them about 95% as bright as the Xenons on my current car.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
14-12-2013 04:09pm
Stevemac1

I also thought mine were a bit shortsighted for Xenons, there's a wee socket for an allen key on the unit - a quarter turn and bob's your uncle! Still not as long range as my old E-class though..

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
19-12-2013 04:48pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(13-12-2013 09:15pm)mllcb42 Wrote:  Typically headlights have an adjustment screw that you can adjust to set the "default" position. Note that there are specific guidelines about where they should be aimed. The evoque with the xenons has some of the better headlights I've used, so if you're having issues, they're probably misaligned.

The headlight dip is 1.2 degrees. I used this method to align my lights when I swapped my UK for my German lights and had to significantly adjust upwards the beam in comparison to where the UK lights were set when they left the factory.

1. Park your car 10m (from wall to headlight front) away and perpendicular to a wall on a flat surface.
2. If your lights are halogen then make sure the adjuster wheel is in position 0 and the boot of the car is empty of anything that shouldn't be there.
3. Switch on the headlights and (assuming it is a UK car) you will see two distinct horizontal lines for each headlight beam with light below and dark above. The lower line of the two is where the dip needs to be set.
4. Get a piece of masking tape about 6" long and stick horizontally on the wall so that the top is 21cm lower than the the height of the middle of the headlight projector. I can't find my tape measure but assuming the middle of the projector is 90cm from the ground the top of the masking tape needs to be 69cm above the ground (but please check your own car)
5. Use the vertical adjuster screw (which you have already found) to adjust as appropriate so that the lower od the two horizontal lines is at the height of the top of your masking tape.
6. Repeat for other side.

I asked the TUV station to check my lights when my car was imported in to Germany and he said they were absolutely perfect. When I drive at a constant speed on the motorway I can just see the light/dark pattern you see against the wall on the road (probably about 75m in front of the car).

Hope this helps.

If you need to adjust the horizontal aim (lights might be too far apart or cross eyed) then it is just a question of using the tape measure to work out how far apart the middle of the projectors are and then with the help of an assistant behind the car working out where the middle line of the car is and replicating this on the wall with tape and adjusting the beam to match the markings

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 05:54pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
19-12-2013 05:49pm
Denham5

I had the lights checked at my local dealer and they are properly aligned. I can only confirm they are the worst xenons I have had on any car I have owned. Not a patch on the freelander.
But thanks for the replays

Replies not replays ,, need sleep
(This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 12:20am by Denham5.)
20-12-2013 12:19am