Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
metallic clunking sound sound
GibEvoque

metallic clunking sound sound

I have just developed an extremely lound metal on metal clunking sound from the rear left area of my car. It sounds like something is hitting the floor of the car everytime the wheel goes round.

So worrying crawled home.

I had a look and nothing loose, tried shaking wishbones, driveshaft, exhaust etc but everyting seemed solid enough.

Obvoiusly I have booked it in, but it was strange how it suddenly began, and the loudness was disturbing, so wanted to know if anyone experienced anything similar.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
18-02-2014 10:20am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: metallic clunking sound sound

You haven't lowered your suspension have you? Does the car sit level on flat ground?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-02-2014 12:41pm
GibEvoque

(18-02-2014 12:41pm)mark_n Wrote:  You haven't lowered your suspension have you? Does the car sit level on flat ground?

no its all standard, looks level as well. It was strange as I went on one journey and it was fine. went on another half hour later and it was there as soon as I pulled away both, were short distances in town.

Worse still Dealer cant fit me in until 4th march, as I need my boot realigning (again) and also my 2 year service.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
18-02-2014 09:44pm
mark_n

If you are minded to, I would jack the car up and take off the wheel, look for damage to the brake disc or a loose brake calliper. I don't think you should drive the car until you know what's causing it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-02-2014 12:13pm
GibEvoque

(19-02-2014 12:13pm)mark_n Wrote:  If you are minded to, I would jack the car up and take off the wheel, look for damage to the brake disc or a loose brake calliper. I don't think you should drive the car until you know what's causing it.

Ok I am going to have to admit i have been a total idiot Embarrassed

I checked the tyre for a nail, and couldn't see one, and moved the car and looked again, and by sheer chance it was again hidden in the contact patch.

My father in law had another look this morning as saw it, so the tyre will be repaired tomorrow (hopefully) as £330 for another conti is a pain in the behind

1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
19-02-2014 01:59pm
m_101

yeowch - GibEvoque I was about to say look on asda tyres as they are cheaper there but then realised you're in Gibraltar and don't think they'll ship one out to you! sorry! Good luck with the repair.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
20-02-2014 12:14am
GibEvoque

(20-02-2014 12:14am)m_101 Wrote:  yeowch - GibEvoque I was about to say look on asda tyres as they are cheaper there but then realised you're in Gibraltar and don't think they'll ship one out to you! sorry! Good luck with the repair.

Got lucky, repairable, so only a few quid.

1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
20-02-2014 11:35am
jos

i did had the same noiseproblem,
exhaust hangingpoint had a crush
the ré-hung this point > fixed !

ORDER16-09/2011>DEL; 27-01/2012

eD4-PURE fuji /black int./coup
pano-roof/techPACK > done !;painted wheels
3cm lowering/2cm spacers ; ROOFwrap
already > 52.000 km drive ; average;1lit/14km
ré-painted bumperparts and mirrors

4 y.TT mk1
2 y.MINIc-S
4 y.TT mk2
1 yr mini CM;
so i fit exactly in de evoque-profile...
2015 > TTmk3......?
20-02-2014 11:39am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Alchemist

I had a clunking / loud knocking sound every time the wheel revolved (rear nearside).

Found the culprit to be a large blob of chewing gum stuck to the tyre, and with speed the centrifugal force would cause it to stretch and just touch something.... Removed the gum, all fine!

Strange things happen sometimes.
26-02-2014 09:57am
BFGEvoqueMan

(18-02-2014 10:20am)GibEvoque Wrote:  I have just developed an extremely lound metal on metal clunking sound from the rear left area of my car. It sounds like something is hitting the floor of the car everytime the wheel goes round.

So worrying crawled home.

I had a look and nothing loose, tried shaking wishbones, driveshaft, exhaust etc but everyting seemed solid enough.

Obvoiusly I have booked it in, but it was strange how it suddenly began, and the loudness was disturbing, so wanted to know if anyone experienced anything similar.

Have you got a towbar? When the DPF regenrates then the system gets f***ing hot and the back box expands and clonks the towbar cross beam. Couple of plastic ties near the exhaust hangers solves the problem! If you haven't got a towbar then clearly you have another fault Sad

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
05-04-2014 12:10pm