Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iPhone Battery Drain
stef.c

iPhone Battery Drain

Does anybody know if its OK to leave an iPod or iPhone attached via USB all the time? I know it will draws power as it takes a charge but will this drain the car battery too much if left in?

I was going to leave my old iPhone in the car as I have a new replacement now, thinking it would save me from plugging the new one in constantly but bit worried about the car battery.

I had the dreaded '3 minute warning' flash up yesterday when I switched on the DAB with the engine off. As an aside, I have had problems with the battery in the past but pretty sure that is all sorted now and this isn't the cause.

I wonder if leaving a USB stick in will have the same effect?

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
12-11-2012 06:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightFox

RE: iPhone Battery Drain

(12-11-2012 06:56pm)stef.c Wrote:  Does anybody know if its OK to leave an iPod or iPhone attached via USB all the time? I know it will draws power as it takes a charge but will this drain the car battery too much if left in?

I was going to leave my old iPhone in the car as I have a new replacement now, thinking it would save me from plugging the new one in constantly but bit worried about the car battery.

I had the dreaded '3 minute warning' flash up yesterday when I switched on the DAB with the engine off. As an aside, I have had problems with the battery in the past but pretty sure that is all sorted now and this isn't the cause.

I wonder if leaving a USB stick in will have the same effect?

Is the USB 5v live with the ignition switched off? I wouldn't have thought so, and if not then having something plugged into it all the time wouldn't drain the car battery.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
12-11-2012 07:21pm
Easty

Re: iPhone Battery Drain

If its based on a pc usb, it will only provide 2.5w max i undertstand(like leaving an interior bulb on). Like said check if its live only with ignition on. Should be easy to tell it stops charging when you turn off the ignition. if its only live with igniton turn things like wifi and bluetooth off to help it stay on while your not using the car.

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
12-11-2012 07:33pm
Firenze

I have left my ipod nano plugged in constantly and left switched on since april and never had a problem I dont think it is charged when the ignition is off

Leave it plugged in one night and if the ipods battery losses a bit of power then its not being charged, as if it was being charged it would be fully charged in the morning

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
12-11-2012 07:35pm
doug

I can confirm that the USB or 12vdc socket next to it are only live when the engine is booted up.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
13-11-2012 07:54am
PhilSkill

I did at test a year ago with a USB LED light, It turns off about 2 mins after locking the car, and turns on when you unlock. Not sure what would happen if you didn't lock the car, but would probably time out and turn off.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-11-2012 09:36am
stef.c

I don't think its so much if it takes a charge when the ignition is off thats the problem, its more a general concern that it may be draining the car battery too much if its left in ALL the time.

So even if its taking a charge only when the car engine is running I was worried that it would put a strain on the car battery.

I am asking this primarily because I got the dreaded '3 minute warning' a few days ago, suggesting the battery was low.

I had major issues with the car battery in the past so I want to be extra careful. Basically it had run flat after months of reading as being low. This apparently was caused by a software error causing the entertainment system to drain the car battery.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
13-11-2012 02:28pm
Easty

Re: RE: iPhone Battery Drain

(13-11-2012 02:28pm)stef.c Wrote:  I don't think its so much if it takes a charge when the ignition is off thats the problem, its more a general concern that it may be draining the car battery too much if its left in ALL the time.

So even if its taking a charge only when the car engine is running I was worried that it would put a strain on the car battery.

I am asking this primarily because I got the dreaded '3 minute warning' a few days ago, suggesting the battery was low.

I had major issues with the car battery in the past so I want to be extra careful. Basically it had run flat after months of reading as being low. This apparently was caused by a software error causing the entertainment system to drain the car battery.

I would not worry about that. Things like any heated elements in seats use far more. Probably 50watts on max, compared to the max 2.5 provided through the usb port. Just be kind on your battery when you first get in and stationary. If convinient maybe plug a battery tender on once a week overnight. Seems a lot of people have battery issues with this car. Problem with driving these lux vessels.

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
13-11-2012 05:56pm