Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
gTechniq Clearview G1
PhilSkill

gTechniq Clearview G1

Today I tried G4 and G1 although not on the Evoque to start with, might as well practice on the shopping trolley first! decided to do the side and rear windows only to start with, that only need 1 coat.

First a wash down, then polish with G4, This is a nice consistency, thinner than windowlene for those that may remember it, polishes easily and dries white especially on surrounding rubbers, but the ace up its sleve is the fact a damp cloth just wipes it away and a quick buff brings the glass glistening.

Once all windows clean onto the G1, a small dab onthe pad and it quickly spreads across the glass working quite quickly to coat a window, you can see where is done quite easily until a fine layer over all the glass.

As per instructions this is then left 10 minutes, as quite cold today.

The next stage is G2 that comes with G1, this was where I was nervous as this is the bit that could leave smearing, but it was very easy, with a cotton cloth to buff used a pad to coat smaller areas with G2 and immediately buff, glass was pretty clear instantly and a slight second wipe with the G2 damp pad removed any remaining residue with a final buff to bring the glass gleaming.

very easy to use, but it does stress its important to follow instructions to the letter.

Lets see how it performs... then may try the windscreen, I have not had great experiences with windscreens when treated so holding back, but if all goes well next up on to the Evoque.

More to come...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 11:42pm by PhilSkill.)
27-10-2012 11:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: gTechniq Clearview G1

Mine is still working after 10 months & hardly ever need to use the wipers. I did have the product fail after 3 months on my van after I had a new windscreen fitted, but this was my fault. I applied in the cold & wasn't left to cure for the 3 coats before removing for the correct time. That & the fact I'm on the road for 6-8 hrs a day was the cause of it failing & not the products fault.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
28-10-2012 09:44am
Nut

Does each coat need 15 mins to cure? I did mine today and put all 3 coats on then left it for 15 mins to cure?
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2012 01:38pm by Nut.)
28-10-2012 01:38pm
Evo-king

I've got the kit in readiness to do the windscreen, but have hesitated applying it.

I don't need it for the side windows as the fronts has some LR treatment anyhow and my detailer did the rest of the glass with Exo.

I was hoping to see if anyone else had given it a go on the windscreen as I am paranoid about smeary windscreens.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
28-10-2012 02:33pm
PhilSkill

Just taken it shopping in the rain, looks good, rear window wiped away very easily to completely clear, here's a few pics.

Showing the windscreen untreated.

Treated rear

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
28-10-2012 04:47pm
doug

(28-10-2012 01:38pm)Nut Wrote:  Does each coat need 15 mins to cure? I did mine today and put all 3 coats on then left it for 15 mins to cure?
Depends on the temperature, @round 20c 15mins between laying the 3 coats sounds right
(28-10-2012 02:33pm)Evo-king Wrote:  I've got the kit in readiness to do the windscreen, but have hesitated applying it.

I was hoping to see if anyone else had given it a go on the windscreen as I am paranoid about smeary windscreens.
No smeary windscreen Very Happy

Don't forget to do the Pan roof. I masked off down the middle with detailing tape & done one half at a time. The water beading is unreal & once you hit 30mph the water just flys off Very Happy

28-10-2012 04:49pm
kevoque

Done my pan roof and windscreen 10 months ago still working if the
Window wipers squeak give them a clean with IPA! And I. The G1 is stopping working after a year 1:1 water and ipa -and wipe off to get it working again as new ! Great stuff have used on several cars with great results
Phil get it on the windscreen !! It's worth it !
Kev
28-10-2012 05:23pm
WB
WB

By the way don't do the front door glass as they already have a hydrophobic coating on them!
28-10-2012 06:42pm
PhilSkill

Yes had noticed the front sides have a coating already on the Evoque, will try the windscreen next day I have to polish and treat. probably do the Evoque rears at the same time (since they're nice and small).

Then get a new lot for the Evoque windscreen and pano roof (been wanting to do the roof, which is what i'm leading up to really). How many coats on the roof? such a large area so I'm guessing only 1, but then don't want to do again anytime soon! That will be a useful need for the side steps, so much easier accessing the roof with those I guess rather than mask off in strips, you could work 1 edge and keep going inwards to the middle and then continue outwards on the other side to keep the treatment continuous.

I love the way the droplets magnify the brown heated rear windscreen elements in the pictures, couldn't see that by eye!

28-10-2012 07:45pm
doug

I only used one coat on the glass roof, 10 months in & it still repels water as well as when I treated it.

28-10-2012 08:46pm