Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
emergency parking brake
Steve D

RE: emergency parking brake

I've replaced rear brake pads in the past on cars with electronic parking brakes that automatically apply when you switch the engine off, just like our Evoques. I didn't know about any special procedures at the time so I just left the car running in neutral with the handbrake off. Would that method work on the Evoque?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
10-12-2015 07:31pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DUB01s

No it won't. The Pistons have to draw back further to fit new pads as they self adjust over time.
11-12-2015 03:22am
Steve D

But do the pistons fully retract using the procedure, enough to fit new pads, or must they still be screwed back?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 01:25pm by Steve D.)
11-12-2015 01:24pm
DUB01s

The procedure described earlier in the post retracts the Pistons and puts them into service mode. No special tools needed. Nothing else to do with the Pistons. If you've gone through the service procedure correctly. The centre display on the instruments will shows park brake in service mode message.
11-12-2015 02:59pm
Steve D

So, assuming your rear pads are low and you put it in service mode (which retracts Pistons enough to fit new pads), surely you are going to cover the engine bay with brake fluid when all that fluid behind the Pistons is forced back into the master brake fluid reservoir? I just can't see that. It's got to go somewhere, don't you agree? There's no mention of removing cap or withdrawing brake fluid prior to this. Have you personally experienced that or are you just quoting from the book?

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 01:45pm by Steve D.)
12-12-2015 01:43pm
Steve D

Looks like there is a bit more to do other that follow the instructions in the book and DUBO1s was just quoting that.

13-12-2015 07:30pm
PhilSkill

Putting everything I've read together, The pistons will still need to be pushed back AFTER service mode has been activated, therefore you still need to take the usual precautions, not overflowing the master cylinder etc. You MUST put it in service mode to Retract the EPB mechanism away from the piston so it can be pushed back, and also to avoid the ECU re-engaging the Piston while you have the caliper off, you can of course protect from this by removing the Connector to the Motor on the Caliper. but you sill need to have entered Service mode before you do this.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-12-2015 10:00pm
Steve D

I agree but all I was trying to find out was that IF the vehicle is left running, and out of 'park', in theory the EPB mechanism will not be engaged which should allow you to push back the piston as I have done on similar cars in the past. Mainly Renault Megane Scenics if I remember correctly.

13-12-2015 10:21pm
PhilSkill

When I tested the Service Mode it definitely sounded like the motor ran much more than just releasing the brakes from the handbrake, so I think it likely stops any interference between the Piston and the Motor... but don't know till I have mine apart, which wont be till next summer.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
13-12-2015 11:13pm
PhilSkill

Even if the piston doesn't interfere with the EPB when simply disengaged, You may still have trouble with the vehicle running, as actions like opening the door may enforce the EPB to come on, so surely the best/simplest/safest way is to engage service mode instead, easily done, and i'd not want to work on a car with a wheel off with the engine running unless up on a full inspection ramp, especially a 4wd.

14-12-2015 10:53am