Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
emergency parking brake
Mikedw

RE: emergency parking brake

(24-09-2013 07:02pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Activation (top part) means Activate Service mode, e.g. what you do before changing brake pads, as the EPB will be released so you can remove the pads when Service Mode is activated!

Thanks PhilSkill Very Happy
24-09-2013 10:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gbedol

I followed the instructions and the back calipers will not retract. Am i missing a step? Please advise, my car is up on jacks and stuck

Thank you

(27-01-2013 03:18pm)cutter7 Wrote:  You can put the EPB into service mode and then re-activate it.

[Image: pe5ymedu.jpg]

Hope this helps..
10-07-2014 12:11am
PhilSkill

Are you holding the Parking brake Switch and pressing the pedal while switching it off and on?

The Brakes should be off (retracted) from holding the switch in the release position, if they are re-applying, when is this happening? you'll hear the motor re-apply them.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-07-2014 02:18pm
fam1x

Does it work have you tested it ? I wanted to change my break pad and found it near impossible to release the break once you switch the engine off.

No wonder LandRover charge £261 to replace break pads.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
16-07-2014 04:07pm
MikeInTX

I just tried this procedure on my wife's 2012 Evoque. First, the EPB retracted but there was no audible sound, so mid-way through the caliper disassembly the EPB re-applied!

Re-attempting to release the EPB has the dash symbol flashing and the message "EPB needs recalibrating".

I repeated the procedure above until I heard the EPB release again, but I am unable to push the piston back into the cylinder ( using a G-clamp). Is there a special trick to getting the piston to retract so the caliper will fit over the new pads?

Help required as the car is now stuck on the drive, it's got dark and I've run out of patience!

Thinking about my post above, does getting the EPB into service mode, cause the calipers to fully retract the piston? Making the process of pushing the piston back (as I have done on many older cars) unnecessary?

I did try cracking the bleed nipple to avoid pushing fluid back through the ABS etc. But this didn't reduce the resistance at all - and I put as much pressure on it as I dare.

If the trick is in getting to the 'service mode' and not just releasing the EPB, is the procedure typed in the above posts correct? And what might I be doing wrong?

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Mike.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 03:29am by MikeInTX.)
03-09-2014 03:13am
rshefferly

Has anyone successfully changed the rear brakes? I was able to put mine in service mode, but the EPB does not retract far enough to replace the pads, just enough to allow me to remove the calliper.

The LR dealer told me they retract the brake piston electroncially, so no G clamp or 3-pin retractor tool is used.
08-10-2014 08:10pm
DUB01s

I had to change both pads and rotors. I successfully put the park brakes into service mode. After that I could compress the caliper piston back to fully retracted, before service mode you cant move them more than the amount to back off the pads on the rotors.
To clarify those instructions.
You need to have the cars ignition on. This is done by pressing the start button without your foot on the brake pedal. (If you have your foot on the brake pedal the car will start)
Press and hold the brake switch down (this is release) and wait for 2 seconds.
While still holding down the brake switch depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and wait another 2 seconds.
Then press the start button to switch the ignition off and then on again (2 presses)
You will hear the park brake retract and it will take a few seconds, I kept the park brake and the accelerator pedal pressed the whole time.
On the instrument panel you will see the message "park brake in service mode" when the operation is complete.
You then can push the caliper pistons back.
The piston does not retract on its own. The procedure winds back the park brake which when in normal mode will prevent the piston being retracted.
If you don't have a caliper piston tool I would advise against using a clamp around the back of the caliper as the park brake motor looks to have a plastic housing. I used a gear puller to push the piston against the caliper fork instead.
After you have replaced the components use the deactivation instructions in the topix image remembering that you need to start with the ignition on and the engine not running.
I was able to buy pads and rotors for $170 all up and got the job done in just over an hour.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 01:16am by DUB01s.)
02-04-2015 01:13am
bee

parking brake has to bee deactivated via obd port with the correct reader.Cool

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
02-04-2015 05:51pm
PhilSkill

(02-04-2015 05:51pm)bee Wrote:  parking brake has to bee deactivated via obd port with the correct reader.Cool

No need for OBD, DUB01s's instructions are spot on.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-04-2015 08:09pm
zaevo

Need urgent help.
I have a 2011 prestige
I have done the above procedure and not working. Tried like 40 times. When I hold the e brake button down and press the accelerator pedal the e brake retracts.

My problemis that I just deactivated the e brake, tried changing the pads quick.. the e brake kicked in and now the caliper with no pads is jammed on the disc.

I'm already kicking myself... please help
(This post was last modified: 24-10-2015 06:30pm by zaevo.)
24-10-2015 06:25pm