Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
centre console on my new baby rr
dbowman46

centre console on my new baby rr

Hi - anyone any clues - centre console switches off after about 15 minutes of driving - comes back after switching off ignition & restarting.
Garage performed software reset but problem still persists??Crying
15-11-2014 05:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: centre console on my new baby rr

Do you mean the 8" screen goes dark? Which model year do you have because it may be that Stealth Mode is selected in the screen menus.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-11-2014 05:29pm
dbowman46

(15-11-2014 05:21pm)dbowman46 Wrote:  Hi - anyone any clues - centre console switches off after about 15 minutes of driving - comes back after switching off ignition & restarting.
Garage performed software reset but problem still persists??Crying

Thanks - My RR is a 2014 Puretech 2.2 D 4D - the stealth mode is "off"
Also - it is more than the screen going dark - the radio cuts out,sat nav, phone etc -all inoperative
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 07:25pm by dbowman46.)
15-11-2014 07:21pm
JimWooly

It looks like the 'system' does not recognise that the engine is running and the alternator charging as this is how the 'system' operates without the engine running - it shuts off all electrical accessories to save the battery.

[Image: 298252.png]
15-11-2014 10:29pm
mark_n

Typical dealer response - to reset the software - when they don't have a clue.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
16-11-2014 05:45am
B_o_b_o

This is a serious fault. I would escalate as a formal complaint straight to Land Rover citing your consumer rights as well as naming and shaming the garage who did not resolve the issue. Assuming it's all still under warranty but nonetheless this is bad. Hope you get things sorted.
18-11-2014 09:42pm
XFullFatTim

I'm sure somebody will come on and correct me about this but I think this issue has been discussed before and to do the reset correctly the battery has to be disconnected for around 10 minutes to perform a proper reset, it isn't just disconnect the terminals and put them back on straight away. Philskill usually knows about these things! A PM (you need to have 5 posts up before you can use the PM's) or email to Pete@Land Rover will get you the answer - he will need to know some details like VIN, reg and your proper name, but just ask him in an email if he can get expert advise from the technical team at LR.
The other thing I can think of that would cause this would be that somebody has disconnected your battery and not reset the Battery Monitoring System when they have reconnected again. If you ever have a flat battery and call out Land Rover Assist they always reset the BMS after jump starting the car too.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 10:18pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-11-2014 10:15pm
PhilSkill

Is it switching off with the 3 or 10 minute Warning?, or just going Black cutting out all of a sudden?. Either way it's a wrong, should never cut out while the engine is running, and you should get it back to the dealer and contact LRCS.

I would expect 1 minute disconnected to be enough to ensure the Entertainment system is reset. If the problem is coming from the BMS saying the battery isn't charged then that may need resetting (at least), to my knowledge you need a dealer/LRA to do this.

It could also be a fault with the CAN Bus or quite simply the Entertainment system is faulty...
Best is to persevere with your Dealer and get LRCS involved, just PM them from here.

A post here from a member who had LRA out for this issue and a battery disconnect worked

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Disconnec...4#pid98504

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-11-2014 12:40pm
dbowman46

(19-11-2014 12:40pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Is it switching off with the 3 or 10 minute Warning?, or just going Black cutting out all of a sudden?. Either way it's a wrong, should never cut out while the engine is running, and you should get it back to the dealer and contact LRCS.

I would expect 1 minute disconnected to be enough to ensure the Entertainment system is reset. If the problem is coming from the BMS saying the battery isn't charged then that may need resetting (at least), to my knowledge you need a dealer/LRA to do this.

It could also be a fault with the CAN Bus or quite simply the Entertainment system is faulty...
Best is to persevere with your Dealer and get LRCS involved, just PM them from here.

A post here from a member who had LRA out for this issue and a battery disconnect worked

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Disconnec...4#pid98504
Hi Thanks for your input.The centre console was going black after aprox 15 minutes driving.I have since been back to the dealer in Aberdeen where I bought the car new 900 miles ago.They gave me a courtesy car & have investigated the problem further.Whilst they say they did not find anything specifically wrong they had been checking out wiring of the centre console & think the fault has cleared with no interruptions to the centre console operation.Doesn't sound very technical to me but will see how it goes.I would have thought that they would have to disconnect the battery if they were messing about with wiring so maybe a battery disconnect /reset would have been carried out?
I am not familiar with your abbreviations - LRCS? CAN Bus? What is a PM? presumably a communication using this site?
I hope the problem has been cured but will update as necessary.
Thanks everyone for help& suggestions
19-11-2014 02:43pm
XFullFatTim

LRCS = Land Rover Customer Services aka Pete@LandRover, who has his own section of the forum or you can contact by PM - PM= Private Messenger, there is a button for it down in the bottom left hand corner of every post next to the email button, so find a post by Pete and click on the PM button on any of his posts to contact him, but need to have at least 5 posts yourself to trigger the PM system. You can use the email system within the forum anytime after signing up as a member, but not all members select emails. In Pete's section there is also info for contacting LRCS by phone too.

CAN-bus is the means that the various compnents of the car all "talk" to each other, IIRC it is a fibre optic system and if you remove or change any component the system will get all upset unless the component is re-registered in the system. Your friends Google and wiki-pedia will explain better!

19-11-2014 05:42pm