Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Xenons
cjfp

Xenons

Will go for Xenons anyway, but is it worth the additional £305 to have the Adaptive Xenons & cornering lights ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
03-04-2011 01:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blackseries

RE: Xenons

The road leading to our house is single track with high hedges on either side and when coming up the road in a FFRR when I get to a quite sharp bend in the road a light comes on and lights up the bit of the corner that the headlights pointing straight ahead don’t cover – it’s rather nice – but at the end of the day I’m not sure it makes a great deal of difference. When I first saw the LED’s at the bottom of the bumper on the Evoque I thought they were the same sort of arrangement – but having seen cars drive around the factory those LED’s were always off despite the cars turning some very tight corners so the Evoque looks like it uses the more traditional moving headlamp arrangement which is an added mechanical complication to a system that’s already complicated. I think unless your driving involves lots of unlit windy roads there are better things to spend your money on. Just my opinion

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
03-04-2011 02:27pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Xenons

I had adaptive xenons with cornering on my RRS, the cornering is good - when your speed drops below 30mph (IIRC) and you set the indicator to flash then a small floodlight on that side comes on illuminating the side of the road. If you are in a multistorey carpark then when you turn the steering wheel more than 1/4turn then the same happens if the headlights are turned on. It cannot be retro fitted to the car and replacement headlamp units for the RRS cost >£550 EACH (I know I had to buy two!) The headlamps don't actually move the cornering lamp is a second more powerful lamp in the side light reflector. Apart from passengers wondering what this light was that came on when we turned corners in the dark they also used to comment on the little "dance" that the adaptives do when you switch the lights on each time. The beams sort of start pointing downward and then move vertically up and then around until they have self levelled. Occassionally when you are stopped in traffic they go through the same "dance" as a self check. I often got asked if there was something wrong with my headlights by people who had not seen it before. I have a photo of the cornering lights which I will post if I can find it

BTW the LED foglights - having now learned that the "bar" of LEDs is not the "signature" lights I wonder now how many 2009MY+ Mercedes owners are really driving around with their foglights on...................... and some Porsche, Skoda and Audi owners

Edit:
Here is a photo of the section of the headlight unit showing the side light (in this case it is the lower lamp which I replaced with a 5 LED unit) and the angled "projector" lamp of the cornering light
[Image: DSCF2336.JPG]

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 05:30pm by XFullFatTim.)
03-04-2011 04:50pm