Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Xenon Headlight Repair
PhilSkill

Xenon Headlight Repair

One of my Headlights failed, and I have the Xenon lights. Thought this guide may help someone in the future should they suffer the same issue.

Initially not having a great deal of knowledge I bought a new Xenon bulb from Dan at Duckworths.

Changin the buld is doable with the headlight in situ, as it slides forward once you remove the 2 top bolts and lift the lever to release the headlight, this gives you about 4 inches of extra access to change the bulb.

Sadly for me, and what I now know is very common Xenon bulbs are not the issue, so put the new bulb in and it was still not working, fair play to Dan, who has allowed me to return the bulb as these are not cheap, depending where you get them but they are £60 upwards!

If you need to change the bulb though there is a spring locking ring which needs to be fitted from old to new bulb, and in the right orientation, note not to touch the bulb glass at all! here's a pic to see the position of the spring locking ring ready for refitting!

And the bulb in place

So after some research I realised it was likely the ballast... on to next post...

So LR only sell the Ballast as part of the whole headlight unit!!! Luckily its the same unit used on jags and the Ford Focus, so I ordered a Ballast off the dreaded e-bay for £35.

Here you can see the new Ballast and the old one on the headlight unit.

Now powerfuluk have a you tube video to remove the headlight unit... I'd suggest don't do this as I would easily have broken my bumper trying their "unofficial" method... Maybe later one are better, but early ones are a design catastrophe... frankly LR should have sacked the designer!

The only safe way is to remove the bumper partially, it's not as bad as it sounds but it's only for those with patience!

after 1 hour my beloved Evoque looked like this!

It's a world of plastic clips...

thankfully my headlight now looks like this again! (Note it was dark by the time I finished!)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2016 08:10pm by PhilSkill.)
30-01-2016 07:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Xenon Headlight Repair

Basic steps

Remove front grille : remove 4 screw clips on top, pull forward from base towards outside.

Remove 2 headlight retaining screws on top, pull up release lever slide unit forwards, disconnect light connector, clip is on outer side needs to be pressed in as you pull.

Remove wheel, and release the plastic lower front arch trim, two metal screws underneath, 1 plastic screw clip underneath, pull away from arch to loosen 1 clip.

Remove front arch trim pulling away from arch from front edge to top.

Remove the wheel arch inner liner, 1 plastic screw clip in top of arch, 3 plastic push nuts on liner spin and pull to remove, unclip from arch and drop over the brake disc.

there are 2 metal screws on a plastic fitting bar joining the bumper to the wing, 10mm small nut driver undoes these then the bumper releases from the wing.

Now you can ease the front bumper down to release the headlight unit.

Offcar, 3 torx screw hold the ballast in place, unclip the 2 leads, and fit the new unit.

Refit in reverse, the headlamp was quite tricky to get back in but the hardest part for me was refitting the arch liner...!

Notes: the wheel arch trim leading edge has a clip that you need to clip over an edge on the bumper, there is an access hole in the arch front to ease the clip in place.

Don't overtighten the screw clips on fitting back, just do them up till they are flush, otherwise you'll strip the thread and struggle to remove next time.

When LR charge you over £300 to fix your Xenon headlight, now you know why.. A new headlamp unit and hours of work fitting... this job for me £35 Very Happy

Details of the Ballast that came off

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2016 09:38pm by PhilSkill.)
30-01-2016 08:52pm
Nickj

Useful post. Funnily enough I tried tiday to get the headlight out with out taking the bumper off and gave up. Just seemed to tight. You don't have a pic of the wiring pins on the headlight by any chance do you?

Like this but for the earlier headlight ( this is my 2016 headlight pins)

[Image: EE076E11-EAE0-4A70-A6F7-47C36F3D3295_1.jpg]
30-01-2016 09:42pm
PhilSkill

I don't have a pic sorry but it looks identical!

30-01-2016 09:44pm
Nickj

It's plugs in ok, but nothing lit up, hence I wondered what pins were in and earlier one. Couldn't get the lamp out to see the back of it!
30-01-2016 10:07pm
wheels

Very informative post. Tanks a lot
31-01-2016 04:44am
J. Dub

In this photo here, are you able to adjust your headlight with that plastic circle antenna satellite dish looking thing Phil?

http://babyrr.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=4464

In memory of Robert E. Flynn
07-11-2016 05:34pm
PhilSkill

No the Satellite looking thing is the quick release clip to slide it forwards. it's the blue roundel screwhole.

07-11-2016 06:37pm
J. Dub

(07-11-2016 06:37pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  No the Satellite looking thing is the quick release clip to slide it forwards. it's the blue roundel screwhole.

Ah I see. I presume it controls up and down only and not left and right. I will play with it tonight. Thank you Phil

In memory of Robert E. Flynn
07-11-2016 07:47pm