Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windscreen wiper damaging paintwork
dandavis1

RE: Windscreen wiper damaging paintwork

Or they should have developed some sort of locking system so the wipers don't raise unless they're in the service position.
29-01-2012 12:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
olde

The dealership lowered my wipers, and reduced their height above the glass. This was easily done, as the wiper arms are (a) adjustable along a transverse rod that both wiper arms connect to, and (b) bendable.

The angle of attack (driver side wiper especially) will reduce the tendency to judder on dry/salty windscreens, so you have to play around by twisting the arm a bit to get the wipers to work perfectly. Different Evoques have different wiper positions, and I wanted mine to be 3-inches less visible when not in use.

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
29-01-2012 06:14pm
Big G

(15-01-2012 10:45pm)dandavis1 Wrote:  I had a good flick through the manual today - no mention of setting to winter park mode before lifting the wipers, so I'd say this is just a fairly unfortunate design flaw.

I might mention this to my dealer to 'note' it on my file (do dealers keep files?) so that if the problem does worsen, it can be clear that I made the dealer aware of the issue within the warranty period.
WINTER PARK POSITION
The wipers can be set to park in a higher position than normal. This allows the blades to be lifted from the screen to prevent freezing. The ‘Wipers winter park’ option can be selected from the settings menu. See 56, VEHICLE INFORMATION AND SETTINGS MENU.
Page 56
----------

To display and navigate through the vehicle information and settings menu, operate the menu control on the steering wheel.
1. Steering wheel menu control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
10-02-2012 06:42pm
Craig_d1

I can't lift the wipers on mu audi a1, and couldn't on my golf before that. Just think it's all part of the design now to help hide the wipers when not in use
10-02-2012 07:03pm
eastrnma

(29-01-2012 12:42pm)dandavis1 Wrote:  Or they should have developed some sort of locking system so the wipers don't raise unless they're in the service position.

This is a good idea... but could be annoying to some. At last winter park is better than no option. Is it on the list?
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 08:35pm by eastrnma.)
12-02-2012 08:26pm
rikstar23

So here I was strolling through the Toronto Auto Show 2012 excited to visit the LR section to check out the new Evoque. I was an instant fan of Evoque the moment I first saw it in a magazine and couldn't wait to lay my hands on it for the first time. When the moment came and I got into the driver seat, we were an instant match. Even though the coupe version was a bit tight to get into the back (for my 6'2" frame), I could care less because I was never going to be back there anyways. As I did a "walk-around" of the vehicle, right away my eyes noticed the wiper flaw. None of the folks around the vehicle had noticed this and when I brought it to their attention, it was an instant show stopper for many of them.
From the looks of this section of the forum, it seems like it really is a big problem and I'm really hoping that LR will rectify in the subsequent versions of the SUV. I am planning on buying one within next 1-2 years and it would suck to see the paint job wear off on my baby.
11-03-2012 03:36pm
dandavis1

Another shame about this is that you have to put the wipers into winter park mode to wash it without damaging the bonnet so that, when the widescreen is shiny and clean and you put the wipers back to their normal position, the wipers scrape across your newly polished windscreen.

Annoying!
11-03-2012 07:54pm
RadBoy

I found out about this design flaw recently after having some repairs to my paintwork done. I assumed that the spray painter had made an error and was highly irritated to find that it was actually the wiper causing the problem. I think it is a design flaw that should be corrected by a recall of some kind as it would be easy to move the hinge of the wiper and correct the problem, but it should not be the responsibility of paying customers.It is counter intuitive to think that there would be any non standard way of lifting the wipers. Others in the forum have made mention of the problem also being on Audis and other cars. The difference is that on these cars you absolutely cannot lift the wipers and attempting to do so does not damage the vehicle unless you are dumb enough to bend the wipers. Your natural instinct would be to stop and find a better option.

An epic fail in my opinion on behalf of Land Rover and one they ought to correct at their own expense.
08-02-2014 10:52am
The Valeter

This happened on my Dynamic. When in the dealer I just got them to alter the position of the wiper - solved problem. My Pure Tech does the same but keep forgetting to tell them, now I only lift that passenger arm enough to get under it.

Anyone used to driving a German thing should be used to this as most of them you can't lift the wiper arm at all!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 11:24am by The Valeter.)
08-02-2014 11:23am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeroma

(08-02-2014 11:23am)The Valeter Wrote:  This happened on my Dynamic. When in the dealer I just got them to alter the position of the wiper - solved problem. My Pure Tech does the same but keep forgetting to tell them, now I only lift that passenger arm enough to get under it.

Anyone used to driving a German thing should be used to this as most of them you can't lift the wiper arm at all!
On hand-over my dealer clearly explained this situation to me. It's a very handy setup. On my son's Passat andf my wife's Megane we use to switch off the ignition as soon as the blades are in vertical position. It takes some thinking, but it works.
On the other hand I noticed that a practical layout of several features is not the strength of JLR, they could take a crash course from the French car manufacturers.
So the layout of the cruise control switches is a pure disaster. Only good for people never using it.
There were a few more features that drove me mad. Furtunately the dealer was able to deactivate a few of them.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
08-02-2014 03:25pm