Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Window won't go down after the cold weather? Here's a fix...
Paul O

Window won't go down after the cold weather? Here's a fix...

From my blog in the "My Evoque" section....

Window sticking problem - and a DIY solution!

So, it happened again. One frosty morning and I tried the drivers window and it wouldn't drop - and since then it wouldn't go down again.

I put a call in to LR servicing, who said that they have had a lot in recently with the spate of cold weather and there is a simple solution. So here it is, if anyone gets a similar issue;

When you drop the window, if it is frozen shut then the anti-trap mechanism kicks in thinking there is something in the way of the window. This then sets this position as being the lower most down position and therefore you window won't go down any further.

Solution... (when it isn't frosty!)... press the window switch down fully until the window stops, then pull the window switch up fully and once at the top, hold for 5-6 seconds (you hear the switch make 2 clicks, which is the point where the one-touch window is normally activated). This resets the upper most position. The window will now go down. When it gets to the bottom, do the same again for the lower position by holding the switch down fully for 5-6 seconds (same process as the up-position). This resets the lowest position of the window.

Ta-Daa! One fixed window.

Hope that helps someone! I had to do it a few times to get it to work, but it did work.

Red RR Evoque TD4, 5 door.
Mini One Cabriolet.
Black Porsche 997S Cabriolet [SOLD].
17-01-2013 04:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Window won't go down after the cold weather? Here's a fix...

good tip - thanks!
17-01-2013 10:34pm
thorsten5

Thanks! Wink
23-01-2013 09:03pm
PhilSkill

I had this stuck window this morning, first frost of the winter following rain yesterday and passenger window would not go down! Once car warmed up it was ok though and didn't need a reset. I will be getting the silicone spray out tonight!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-11-2013 04:20pm
RacingSnake

the process is for resetting the one-touch - the same thing happens if you disconnect your battery! Very Happy
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-one-touch-windows

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
20-11-2013 09:50am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Thanks Racing Snake, I've not needed to do this yet, Paul O has a good description a few posts above too.

(17-01-2013 04:22pm)Paul O Wrote:  Window sticking problem - and a DIY solution!

Solution... (when it isn't frosty!)... press the window switch down fully until the window stops, then pull the window switch up fully and once at the top, hold for 5-6 seconds (you hear the switch make 2 clicks, which is the point where the one-touch window is normally activated). This resets the upper most position. The window will now go down. When it gets to the bottom, do the same again for the lower position by holding the switch down fully for 5-6 seconds (same process as the up-position). This resets the lowest position of the window.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-11-2013 12:21pm
speary

To stop having to reset the windows when it's frosty/icy. Get an old credit card or similar and run it between the seals and the glass to break the frosty grip. This works especially well on cars with frameless windows like my previous Audi a5

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
05-12-2013 02:31pm
tonydina

(05-12-2013 02:31pm)speary Wrote:  To stop having to reset the windows when it's frosty/icy. Get an old credit card or similar and run it between the seals and the glass to break the frosty grip. This works especially well on cars with frameless windows like my previous Audi a5

I had the same window issue on the drivers side. The dealer fixed it by adding lubrication to the inside of the window mechanism.
10-12-2013 09:39pm
coops

Thanks, it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(17-01-2013 04:22pm)Paul O Wrote:  From my blog in the "My Evoque" section....

Window sticking problem - and a DIY solution!

So, it happened again. One frosty morning and I tried the drivers window and it wouldn't drop - and since then it wouldn't go down again.

I put a call in to LR servicing, who said that they have had a lot in recently with the spate of cold weather and there is a simple solution. So here it is, if anyone gets a similar issue;

When you drop the window, if it is frozen shut then the anti-trap mechanism kicks in thinking there is something in the way of the window. This then sets this position as being the lower most down position and therefore you window won't go down any further.

Ta-Daa! One fixed window.

Hope that helps someone! I had to do it a few times to get it to work, but it did work.
11-01-2015 02:14pm