Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will my Garmin Work or Not?
boinzo

Will my Garmin Work or Not?

Ok - so I have done a lot of reading and searching and I don't really feel that much wiser.

Can anyone in Australia give me a definitive answer on whether or not my trusty Garmin is gonna work suckered onto the screen of my Dynamic when it arrives here in Oz.

I have seen a lot of people saying no - and a few saying yes. Many of them from fair flung parts of the world. In the recent eTag thread some are saying no - some yes - some maybe (if I hold it out the window!).

I have seen the heated screen getting the blame for blocking signals - but AFAIK it doesn't come to Oz. I have seen the solar glass coping it for being the signal blocker - and as I understand it that's standard here. There doesn't seem to be much consistent info.

I just want to hear from someone who has actually done it what the result is. One of you guys that just took delivery must have given it a go!

I have a few days still left where I can add sat nav to my order and build - I don't want to be left with no nav at all as I do use it a fair bit. But I don't wanna pay $4k for it if my Garmin will do the job!

Help an Aussie out on Strayla Day will ya... Cool
25-01-2013 11:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
superfox

RE: Will my Garmin Work or Not?

(25-01-2013 11:58pm)boinzo Wrote:  Ok - so I have done a lot of reading and searching and I don't really feel that much wiser.

Can anyone in Australia give me a definitive answer on whether or not my trusty Garmin is gonna work suckered onto the screen of my Dynamic when it arrives here in Oz.

I have seen a lot of people saying no - and a few saying yes. Many of them from fair flung parts of the world. In the recent eTag thread some are saying no - some yes - some maybe (if I hold it out the window!).

I have seen the heated screen getting the blame for blocking signals - but AFAIK it doesn't come to Oz. I have seen the solar glass coping it for being the signal blocker - and as I understand it that's standard here. There doesn't seem to be much consistent info.

I just want to hear from someone who has actually done it what the result is. One of you guys that just took delivery must have given it a go!

I have a few days still left where I can add sat nav to my order and build - I don't want to be left with no nav at all as I do use it a fair bit. But I don't wanna pay $4k for it if my Garmin will do the job!

Help an Aussie out on Strayla Day will ya... Cool

Works fine for me mate! My Garmin hasn't missed a beat even the traffic reports come through. I've got the solar screen and haven't had a bad thing happen because of it.

FOX Rolling Eyes

Drive: 4 WHL R/H FULL TIME DRIVE CAB style: 3 DOOR Series: 2.0 GTDIS PETROL 3DR SERIES Transmission: 6 SPD AUTO TRANS AWF21AWD Engine: 2.0L 16V TIVCT T/C 240PS GAS Colour:SUMATRA BLACK Trim:SATIN BRUSHED METAL
26-01-2013 12:16am
boinzo

Awesome. I love a definitive answer! Thanks Fox! Happy Oz Day.
Where on the screen do you stick it? I'm not a massive fan of dopey GPS cords hanging everywhere...

(26-01-2013 12:16am)superfox Wrote:  Works fine for me mate! My Garmin hasn't missed a beat even the traffic reports come through. I've got the solar screen and haven't had a bad thing happen because of it.
26-01-2013 12:34am
BA74

My Navman won't find the satellites from inside the car, have to let load out the window (while parked!) but works fine inside the car from there on...

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
26-01-2013 03:45am
superfox

(26-01-2013 12:34am)boinzo Wrote:  Awesome. I love a definitive answer! Thanks Fox! Happy Oz Day.
Where on the screen do you stick it? I'm not a massive fan of dopey GPS cords hanging everywhere...

Mate that's the only thing I hate about the external GPS the power cord! I sit mine in the bottom right corner and run the power cord over the instrument cluster hood and down the brushed alloy rail and into the centre console. Still annoys me but I live with it. Would love built in GPS but couldn't come to grip with its price tag and lack of features. Soon I plan to hook my phone to the screen and have the phone dock charge and display it's image through the dash then I'll be happy ^_^

Happy OZ day Straya

FOX Rolling Eyes

Drive: 4 WHL R/H FULL TIME DRIVE CAB style: 3 DOOR Series: 2.0 GTDIS PETROL 3DR SERIES Transmission: 6 SPD AUTO TRANS AWF21AWD Engine: 2.0L 16V TIVCT T/C 240PS GAS Colour:SUMATRA BLACK Trim:SATIN BRUSHED METAL
26-01-2013 07:35am
boinzo

So - now we have one yes and one maybe! What model GPSs are you peeps using. Mine is a Navman 3790T. I am wondering if it's different with different models ... ?
I hate the cables too SuperFox! But for $4k i'll put up with them!
28-01-2013 06:34am
superfox

(28-01-2013 06:34am)boinzo Wrote:  So - now we have one yes and one maybe! What model GPSs are you peeps using. Mine is a Navman 3790T. I am wondering if it's different with different models ... ?

I've got the Garmin nuvi 2495 LMT at the moment and can't find a fault. Works a treat and love how it connect to my phone Very Happy

FOX Rolling Eyes

28-01-2013 09:06am
BA74

(28-01-2013 06:34am)boinzo Wrote:  So - now we have one yes and one maybe! What model GPSs are you peeps using. Mine is a Navman 3790T. I am wondering if it's different with different models ... ?

Mines a Navman My30...

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
29-01-2013 12:12pm
exigejoe

I have use Garmin and Tom Tom and they dont work for me. However my Samsung Galaxy Mobile phone using navigation app (google maps) works like a charm and never misses a beat. Even used it in the mountain passes!

Lotus Exige (aspen white) with VF supercharger kit, 413hp, 366lb/ft
Range Rover Evoque in fuji white and almond/espresso interior
2013 Audi A7 3.0T supercharged
01-02-2013 01:50am