Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why not give all models stop/start
J77

RE: Why not give all models stop/start

Land rover are supposed to be working on stop/start for the autos. Will be introduced in the new FFRR.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 19-11-2011 02:26pm by J77.)
19-11-2011 02:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fam1x

(19-11-2011 09:23am)Grah Wrote:  Tell Porsche that - it's on all their new 911's.

What a brilliant mod that would be - adding their 7 speed PDK gearbox to the evoque!

That's what you call Germany engineering not sure why I choose to buy an evoque can't even have adaptive cruise control Sad

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
19-11-2011 09:02pm
PhilSkill

(19-11-2011 09:02pm)fam1x Wrote:  That's what you call Germany engineering not sure why I choose to buy an evoque can't even have adaptive cruise control Sad

This is why...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-11-2011 09:11pm
IKM

(19-11-2011 09:11pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  This is why...

And that's why I cancelled my order for an X3 when RRE waiting list opened. Good reminder, thanks PhilSkill

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
19-11-2011 09:18pm
fam1x

Yes you are so right there Phil the X3 is ugly lol, have never been a BMW fan but you have to say they do have good advanced technology in their cars.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
19-11-2011 11:43pm
PhilSkill

Yes certainly not knocking German technology, but BMW lost their way with the styling.

I'm not sure I want Start/Stop, ok its more fuel efficient, but if it even fractionally delays pulling away i'll find it a pain, but then I don't live in a city stuck in queues where it probably does make sense.

Saying that I have noticed cars starting their engines at traffic lights as I walk past, its a bit disconcerting as a pedestrian!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
20-11-2011 12:46am
Kwacka

The start stop on the Evoque works really well, it starts in an instant, there really is no delay pulling away, I use it more than I thought I would.
My only concern with any start stop technology is, surely it's going to wear your starter motor out much quicker? Shocked
20-11-2011 09:41am
Evo-king

I test drove the auto X3, loved the autobox and also didn't have any issues with start up time.

I have a little Punto town car, which come with Stop/Start, and have never had a problem with it start up time, in fact by the time I depress the clutch it is already running before I've engaged first gear.

As far as I am aware, there is some clever technology that a, does not let stop/start to become active until engine is at operating temperature, ideal on cold mornings when warming up the car and b, stop/start only operates when the battery condition/load does not threaten stop/start use i.e. hrw on, headlights on a/c on etc.

The mechanicals are beefed up as far as I know and having looked at the wiring from the battery on my Punto, it all looks heavy duty.

One final point, on one of my regular journey I get held up at a railway crossing, when I stop, the stop/start engages, and depending on the length of wait the car will automatically restart after about 90 seconds, it fires up so quickly, on some longer waits there I have turned the ignition off and when I restart the the car with the ignition key it seems to take much longer.

So in essence I have no problem with stop/start.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
20-11-2011 10:27am
PhilSkill

(20-11-2011 10:27am)Evo-king Wrote:  One final point, on one of my regular journey I get held up at a railway crossing, when I stop, the stop/start engages, and depending on the length of wait the car will automatically restart after about 90 seconds, it fires up so quickly, on some longer waits there I have turned the ignition off and when I restart the the car with the ignition key it seems to take much longer.

Yes starting from ignition off will always take longer as the computer has to get synchronized with the engine before fuelling and firing which can take 1 or 2 rotations, the start stop technology the computer can monitor the position of the camshafts as the computer is on so it can start ignition and injection immediately the engine turns, making it much quicker.

This will be first car with it so be interesting to see what it's like.

20-11-2011 06:15pm