Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which computer to believe?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Which computer to believe?

I'm in a quandry, do I believe my trip computer or the Fuelly calculation for my fuel figures? In the car I use the auto trip average for each journey and for the vast majority of my journeys this shows trip average MPG's between 46 and 53mpg and sometimes better (not often!). Over 6 fuel-ups my Fuelly records indicate I'm getting only 39.5mpg average with a tank best of 41.7mpg which is crap considering the claims for the car. I generally fill up at the same forecourt and to the same level in the tank (I always fill up until I can see the diesel in the filler tube rather than to the first click of the trigger as often that is set off by foaming or high pressure from the pump.
So which to believe? I'm tending to feel that the trip computer is a con and is flattering the car's fuel economy.

Something else - I have the InControl remote app/ system on mine. It records all my trip distances/ speeds/ fuel consumption on a 3rd party server................. I wonder if Land Rover monitors the figures (which appear to be incorrect!)? Big Brother strikes again? How would I find out if LR is looking at my records and might hold them against me in the event of a claim that the car still is not as economical as claimed.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 10:21am by XFullFatTim.)
07-05-2014 10:19am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Which computer to believe?

Fuelly should be accurate as you have entered the total "litres in" against the total "mileage out" which makes up the average over the complete life of the data. Unless of course you've entered incorrectly, also missing a fuel up will add a small amount of irregularity due to tank fill level at the start and stop of the data.

I keep a seperate spreasheet too, and this does show the Trip estimator while good, is usually a bit optimistic by an mpg or so, especially on the more "economical" runs.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-05-2014 10:31am
berlin2011

Same here, my comparisons between Fuelly and trip computer indicates the trip computer to be anything between 5% and 10% on the 'optimistic' side.... Same thing with the range left calculations - when getting to the last 100km (~60 miles) the range drops a lot faster then the actual distance travelled.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
07-05-2014 02:02pm
HeartbreakRidge

So far it does look like the trip computer is on the optimistic side, when I take my first long road trip in about a week I'll take a closer look and see exactly how optimistic it is.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
07-05-2014 03:26pm
abcya

What does your Trip B MPG show Tim? Presumably you've not reset that one, so it should show your total stats?

Firenze red Dynamic 5-door with Verve interior and pano roof
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 09:51pm by abcya.)
07-05-2014 09:51pm
XFullFatTim

I've never reset trip A or trip B, will look in the morning as it's a bit wet outside just now here!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-05-2014 11:08pm
scalle

if you have filled up, reset trip A.
Do your trip until empty and fill up again.
Then divide the amount of the second fill-up by the driven km's and thats the exact L/km.
Divide the opposite way for MPG.
For me that's the only right calculation.
If you do this 5 times you can calculate an average L/km or MPG.

and if you calculate the cost per mile, you'll be ill !

RRE TD4 Prestige 4WD AUT, santorini black, element interior, tech pack, cold climate pack, pano roof, privacy glass, brushed alu, auto high beam assist, airco vents rear, auto dim mirror, camera, home link, 20" style 7, 18" spare, debugged, roof rails,replaced side vents, grille in glossy black and center cap wheels with RR, black lettering
Also stunning Fiat 500 Cabrio GUCCI edition, black/gold metallic, and red Fiat Panda 1992 selecta (var. transmission).
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 08:07am by scalle.)
08-05-2014 08:05am
doug

The older model used to under calculate the mpg readings & could now be the case that LR have changed the software to improve the display mpg.

I've said it before, how on earth can 3 more gears in prove the mpg by around 15mpg

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 08:18am by doug.)
08-05-2014 08:17am
XFullFatTim

Doug, it might have 3 more gears but 2 or possibly 3 of the new ratios it hardly ever uses in day to day driving! 1st and 9th for sure, the third one is 2nd as I'm sure that mine pulls away in 2nd or 3rd , or it has the ability to skip out gears as you accelerate and I loose count! 1st is so low it is only for towing and offroad and 9th doesn't seem to engage until over 60mph and even then it doesn't like to hold it at 60mph if there is any sort of external load like a gradient or headwind. One thing I love about the 9 speeder is that S mode and paddles are almost redundant now. OK so the paddles are going to be useful to hold lower gears offroad, but the gearbox is so alert to throttle changes that in situations in my last car where I really HHAD to use the paddles or switch to sport mode, in the 9 speeder it only takes the gentlest squeeze on the loud pedal to make it drop 2,3 or even 4 ratios and it just gets up and flies. These days I use the paddles more to force upshifts than to make downshifts and I cannot recall having to use Sport mode yet! It si a huge improvement over the 6 speeder.

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 09:35am by XFullFatTim.)
08-05-2014 09:28am
PhilSkill

I was expecting to see upto a 6-7% improvement. Mainly from improved efficiency in the gearbox (maybe 3%) and improved gearing (maybe 3-4%)

If Tim, you've moved from 36 - 39.5 then that's a 10% improvement! and if your fuelly signature is old and you are getting 40+ then that's actually an amazing improvement for a gearbox change. E.g. 43mpg would be a 20% increase in efficiency!

Does it stay in 9th at 70ish mph happily Tim? If I have one glimmer of regret on the Manual, it's the top gear seems too short and is costing fuel due to higher revs than neccessary at higher speeds (but then I don't drive it loaded to the gunnels with stuff!).

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
08-05-2014 12:41pm