Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brake pads and discs wear.
jitenc

I have changed my 20" alloys which were TPMS compactable to non-TPMS 18" alloys. I have to live with the message that springs up on the dash every time, I switch on the ignition, that TMPS is unavailable.
On one occasion, the dash showed, that the front near side tyre had a fault. This was of course, an error message. I nevertheless took at car to a local garage just to make sure the brakes and pads were ok.
The mechanic had a look at the pads and disc, while the car was on a ramp. He came back with a surprising finding. He said, that there was no sensor in measuring the discs or brake pad wear. The only way was visual inspection.
Now, this was a surprise to me. A car this expensive has no means of warning you if the pads are coming to a minimum acceptable level before there is metal to metal contact. Can anyone verify this? Evoque is an earlier 2011 built. Thanks in advance.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
13-12-2014 07:38am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

Not sure that I've ever heard of disc wear sensor, would be a bit of an overkill as you'd like to think that something like that would be picked up on a service.

Not having a brake pad sensor seems weird as even a lot of, if not all billy basic cars have those nowadays.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 09:28am by Stadt Panzer.)
13-12-2014 09:27am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Brake pads and discs wear.

No they are normally fitted on Land Rover products and if you replace the pads then you should replace the sensors at the same time. All my previous RRS's and FFRR's had them. I wouldn't be surprised though if they have stopped fitting them, by all accounts it was a fiddly time consuming thing to change.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-12-2014 10:26am
ChuckieB

Some have expressed concerns on this. Mine failed it's MOT today on its rear pads. 44k miles and a lot of motorway driving. No mention on the state of the discs though!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
04-02-2015 07:16pm
EosMilan

Hi jitenc!,
it's incredible to believe it but it's true: Evoque hasn't got any sensor for the brake pads! I discovered this on December as my Dynamic was making some weird noises in reverse at very low speed and my dealer workshop manager confirmed I was very closed to damaging disks. I admit I was QUITE SURPRISED too! Sad The bigger sisters of the Evoque (the Sport and the Classic) do have them.

See you!,
Eos
04-02-2015 09:39pm
bee

(04-02-2015 09:39pm)EosMilan Wrote:  Hi jitenc!,
it's incredible to believe it but it's true: Evoque hasn't got any sensor for the brake pads! I discovered this on December as my Dynamic was making some weird noises in reverse at very low speed and my dealer workshop manager confirmed I was very closed to damaging disks. I admit I was QUITE SURPRISED too! Sad The bigger sisters of the Evoque (the Sport and the Classic) do have them.

See you!,
Eos

oh dear, I remember my old niva had wear sensors on the brakes. but then they were soviet made.Confused

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
05-02-2015 07:20pm