Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Parts Source and Service Manual for DIY Repairs?
Kirk

I am new to Land Rovers and looking to buy an Evoque within the next week. I am coming from Porsches where I keep my cars running well through the help of sources like PelicanParts.com that offer quality, OEM parts at a discount. I also have factory service manuals for all of my cars. Over the years, none of my used Porsches has ever been to the dealer as I prefer to work on them myself.

So what is the situation in the Land Rover world??? I can't seem to find anyone who sells a service manual and I can't seem to find affordable parts sources in the United States. I understand that we can get parts from our local dealer and I assume they probably have a manual as well, but are there other options for Americans? Is this a DIY friendly brand for guys who like to get a little grease under their fingernails?

Kirk
18-12-2013 07:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: Parts Source and Service Manual for DIY Repairs?

(18-12-2013 07:11pm)Kirk Wrote:  I am new to Land Rovers and looking to buy an Evoque within the next week. I am coming from Porsches where I keep my cars running well through the help of sources like PelicanParts.com that offer quality, OEM parts at a discount. I also have factory service manuals for all of my cars. Over the years, none of my used Porsches has ever been to the dealer as I prefer to work on them myself.

So what is the situation in the Land Rover world??? I can't seem to find anyone who sells a service manual and I can't seem to find affordable parts sources in the United States. I understand that we can get parts from our local dealer and I assume they probably have a manual as well, but are there other options for Americans? Is this a DIY friendly brand for guys who like to get a little grease under their fingernails?

Kirk
Kirk, welcome.

Let's side aside all issues with warranty etc. The technical database for the car is found on Topix:
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/...G.prs72696
You can subscribe and download all the factory repair and technical manuals pertaining to your car that are used my LR mechanics in their own garages.

I am sure one of the forum's US members will be able to advise you about parts supply.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 07:18pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
18-12-2013 07:18pm
Kirk

(18-12-2013 07:18pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  The technical database for the car is found on Topix:
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/...G.prs72696
You can subscribe and download all the factory repair and technical manuals pertaining to your car that are used my LR mechanics in their own garages.

Yes, thank you. I had found the owner's manual for free from the Topix website. Unfortunately the workshop manual requires a $402/yr subscription. I was looking for a cheaper alternative... Maybe I just need to give it time and keep my fingers crossed that someone will come out with an affordable manual. Since ALL Evoques are still under warranty I guess the demand for a service manual right now is probably pretty low. Wink

Kirk
18-12-2013 07:52pm
MarkA_

You can get a day subscription for about $6 and download the manual for later... As far as I know.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
19-12-2013 12:10am
Kirk

By the way, the cheapest source for parts in the US that I could find was this:

http://www.landroverpartscheap.com/

I just ordered a couple of oil filters and a rear cargo space cover. We'll see how delivery and shipping costs turn out from this source.

I ordered the oil filters because I have about 1,000 miles on the car now and I have ALWAYS done the first oil change within 500 to 1,000 miles to get any debris from engine assembly and parts out of the system. I thought this was kind of the accepted standard for cars/motorcycles. So I'm not going to wait 10,000 miles or one year for my dealer to do the free first service, but I am going to use a genuine LR oil filter to protect my warranty. I'll let the dealer do the free first (actually second) service at 10,000 miles and just won't tell them that I already changed the oil at 1,000 miles.

Kirk
02-01-2014 04:40am