Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where are the Headlamp Fuses?
mstraka

Where are the Headlamp Fuses?

I am having a problem with the driver's side (left) halogen headlamp operating in my USA 2013 Evoque – both high and low beam are out. The owner's manual lists the fuses but there is no headlamp fuse shown. There is an AFS headlamp fuse mentioned in the engine compartment fuse box, but I don't have the AFS, auto leveling - lights turn into corner feature and it appears this is for the turning operation of the headlamps and is not for the actual lighting of the lamps. Are there fuse / fuses for the headlamps?
28-01-2015 02:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bee

RE: Where are the Headlamp Fuses?

(28-01-2015 02:35pm)mstraka Wrote:  I am having a problem with the driver's side (left) halogen headlamp operating in my USA 2013 Evoque – both high and low beam are out. The owner's manual lists the fuses but there is no headlamp fuse shown. There is an AFS headlamp fuse mentioned in the engine compartment fuse box, but I don't have the AFS, auto leveling - lights turn into corner feature and it appears this is for the turning operation of the headlamps and is not for the actual lighting of the lamps. Are there fuse / fuses for the headlamps?

no fuse mentioned in my handbook either. but surely there is one, maybe a misprint. have you checked the bulb ?Cool

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
28-01-2015 10:01pm
PhilSkill

From what I can tell, the Lights are driven from FET's in the Central Junction Box (P101) containing the Central Electronics Module (CEM).
No Fuse that I can see.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-01-2015 10:45pm
mstraka

(28-01-2015 10:45pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  From what I can tell, the Lights are driven from FET's in the Central Junction Box (P101) containing the Central Electronics Module (CEM).
No Fuse that I can see.
The dead left lamp was very simple, just a vaporized bulb. I didn’t know that both high and low beams used the same filament so that when the bulb burns out both high and low beams go out. I thought it was a fuse issue since both intensities were affected. The bulb was a high output halogen Sylvania Sulverstar Ultra. Great improvement over the stock bulbs in light output but this one had a very short life. About 15 hrs.! No I didn't touch the glass when it was first installed. Sylvania notes that because of its high output bulb the life is 1/4 the normal 65 watt and estimates its life to approximately 120 hrs. But 15 hrs.? I still find it odd that there is no fuse listed for the Evoque’s headlights in the owner’s manual.
29-01-2015 02:55pm
bee

maybee the bulb acts as the fuse ?

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
29-01-2015 03:28pm
PhilSkill

The FET will have over-current/temperature protection built in, resetting when cooled or switched off, and will act faster than a fuse.

Glad it was simply a Bulb to solve your problem, although surprised it's a single filament, there are 2 circuits dipped beam and high beam. you sure that 1 blowing didn't just take out the other, or destroyed the common connection.

I use +90% bulbs from GE on my Volvo (Halfords are doing 2 for 1 at the moment) these seem to last quite a long time.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-01-2015 10:55pm
mstraka

The pair of bulbs, where the one burnt out, both have deposits along the inner side of the glass bulb. Each glass has two pools of this dark deposited stuff about 180 degrees opposite each deposit and also a third deposit at the tip of the bulb glass. Could this have been molten solder and contributed to the failure? Definitely only one filament in the bulb.
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 04:47am by mstraka.)
30-01-2015 04:46am
Stanboy

(30-01-2015 04:46am)mstraka Wrote:  The pair of bulbs, where the one burnt out, both have deposits along the inner side of the glass bulb. Each glass has two pools of this dark deposited stuff about 180 degrees opposite each deposit and also a third deposit at the tip of the bulb glass. Could this have been molten solder and contributed to the failure? Definitely only one filament in the bulb.

there is only one filament, the dipping is via electro/mechanical dipping of the bulbholder.[/font]
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 12:15pm by Stanboy.)
30-01-2015 12:03pm