Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wheel rotation.
moonigan

Wheel rotation.

After 12 months and 7500 miles I've noticed my front tyres are wearing a lot more than the rears so I was going to ask the dealer to rotate them next week when the car goes in for it's first service.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue and done the same thing and if so were there any issues.

Cheers
Paul
21-09-2012 10:53pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smayo

RE: Wheel rotation.

I get very undecided over tyre rotation.

IMO it comes down to wether you ultimately want to replace 2 tyres at a time or all 4 in one go, unless you plan to move the car on before you need to do this.

Just priced up to replace the Michelins on mine, and a set of 4 would come in at about £1200 and thats a lot to shell out in 1 go.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
22-09-2012 09:15am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

With the 4WD system that is fitted to Evoque you can only "rotate" by swapping the fronts for the rears otherwise having slightly different rolling diameters on the same axle can cause damage to the transmission/ IRD. It used to be with a Volvo Cross Country and the XC90 that if you had to replace one tyre that was worn/ damaged you had to rpelace all 4 to avoid damage to the transmission, their system was so sensitive to different rolling diameters.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2012 09:45am by XFullFatTim.)
22-09-2012 09:44am
moonigan

(22-09-2012 09:15am)smayo Wrote:  I get very undecided over tyre rotation.

IMO it comes down to wether you ultimately want to replace 2 tyres at a time or all 4 in one go, unless you plan to move the car on before you need to do this.

Just priced up to replace the Michelins on mine, and a set of 4 would come in at about £1200 and thats a lot to shell out in 1 go.

Looking at my wear I reckon the rears will last forever so if I swap them now I could go another 18 months before having to buy a set of tyres for the front and then another 6 months after that to replace the rears. At which point the car will be coming out of warranty and I'll probably be looking to move it on (depending on the cost of the extended warranty).

P
22-09-2012 10:07am
smayo

If swapping the wheels around means that you avoid the cost of replacing any tryes before selling the car on then I'd go for it.
If not then I think at the cost of the replacement tyres then I would try to get the wear to a point where I replace 2 at a time at fairly even intervals.

Is there any safety reason to do this? After all at some point in time you are going to have at least 2 tyres down to the almost legal minimum.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
22-09-2012 10:41am
ceebee

Wheel rotation.

A potential problem with swapping the wheels around to get the most out of the tyres prior to selling is that the buyer would likely try to knock the selling price down to take into account that he would need to buy 4 new tyres? (or maybe it's just me who would)

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2012 11:42am by ceebee.)
22-09-2012 11:40am
slee18

Tim I have a stupid question about rotating the tyres. I'm guessing if I rotate the tyres I need to leave the wheels in the same position right? Since each wheel displays on the if they are low on air pressure

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
23-11-2012 06:53am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As far as I know Slee, no need - the system will detect they have been changed round. Last winter I changed all 4 wheels for my spare set that also have TMPS Sensors fitted and the system didn't even need to have the setting up as described in the manual - the tyre fitters just put the wheels and tyres on and I drove off with no alarms showing on the dash.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-11-2012 09:05am
moonigan

I got mine done free of charge when it was serviced and I'm pretty certain if it had involved anything more than moving them I would have been billed for it.
23-11-2012 10:20am
NightFox

(22-09-2012 09:44am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  With the 4WD system that is fitted to Evoque you can only "rotate" by swapping the fronts for the rears otherwise having slightly different rolling diameters on the same axle can cause damage to the transmission/ IRD. It used to be with a Volvo Cross Country and the XC90 that if you had to replace one tyre that was worn/ damaged you had to rpelace all 4 to avoid damage to the transmission, their system was so sensitive to different rolling diameters.

I've heard this many times before but never really 'got it'. If this is the case, then surely if I need to replace one of my tyres (due to a puncture etc), I would also have to replace the other one on the same axle to avoid unequal tyre circumference. If it's really potentially this catastrophic, why aren't there warnings about this is the manual etc?

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
23-11-2012 01:43pm