Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Wheel/Alloy Kerbed
MrHooky

Re: RE: Wheel/Alloy Kerbed

(25-07-2012 07:57am)rvsvet Wrote:  Anyone purchased the wheel and tyre insurance with Shadow Chrome (style 7) wheels? The small print on my policy says that chrome wheels are not covered by the policy. I have not challenged the dealer who sold me the policy to confirm that my wheels are covered. I am hoping that bright chromed wheels are excluded, but shadow chromes are acceptable. In other words, putting my faith (perhaps naively) in the salesman knowing his job and the products he is selling.

Shadow chrome is just the colour finish. I believe when they mean chrome wheels are excluded they mean the old style multi spoke wheels or two piece wheels which have a chromed lip. Your wheels can still be filled and repainted in the 'shadow chrome' finish hence won't be an issue.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
(11-07-2012 03:40pm)doug Wrote:  One of the sets of wheel (style 7 i think) is diamond cut, so can't be repaired. That's what my dealer told me anyway.

Nonsense. Really annoying when dealers are clueless about such things. Repairing a diamond polished wheel is possible you just need to take it to the right place. Whilst I'd been turned away from a few places I then went to Rimfurbish in the West Mids who can do it. They will diamond polish the wheel, apply several coats of lacquer and then guarantee the finish for 12 months.

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 08:54am by MrHooky.)
25-07-2012 08:47am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rvsvet

RE: Wheel/Alloy Kerbed

[quote='MrHooky' pid='63501' dateline='1343202463']

Shadow chrome is just the colour finish. I believe when they mean chrome wheels are excluded they mean the old style multi spoke wheels or two piece wheels which have a chromed lip. Your wheels can still be filled and repainted in the 'shadow chrome' finish hence won't be an issue.

Thanks Mr Hooky, just the answer I was hoping for. I am sure you are right because in the same sentence on the policy, talking about the exclusions, they exclude chrome and split rim wheels.

SD4 5 dr Dynamic Auto in OG with verve interior, Shadow Chrome style 7 alloys, Pano roof, privacy glass and spare wheel. Collected 25th May. 900 miles driven in 1st month.
25-07-2012 09:25am
ChuckieB

(25-07-2012 08:47am)MrHooky Wrote:  Nonsense. Really annoying when dealers are clueless about such things. Repairing a diamond polished wheel is possible you just need to take it to the right place. Whilst I'd been turned away from a few places I then went to Rimfurbish in the West Mids who can do it. They will diamond polish the wheel, apply several coats of lacquer and then guarantee the finish for 12 months.

Excuse me for challenging:

It's not dimond polished, it's diamond cut. This memans hundreds visible concentric circles around the face of the whole wheel. To repair a kerbed style 5 I would have thought you would need turn the wheel on a jig and recut at least the circumferenece of the wheel covering the area the wheel is damaged........

If this is something these guys can do I will be straight round!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
25-07-2012 03:38pm
MrHooky

Re: RE: Wheel/Alloy Kerbed

(25-07-2012 03:38pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  Excuse me for challenging:

It's not dimond polished, it's diamond cut. This memans hundreds visible concentric circles around the face of the whole wheel. To repair a kerbed style 5 I would have thought you would need turn the wheel on a jig and recut at least the circumferenece of the wheel covering the area the wheel is damaged........

You are right and yes this is something they can do. They make OEM for a number of car companies (Aston Martin I believe are one of then). They are the refurb division of rimstock who also manufacuter their own brand - team dynamics.

I know they can do it as I've been round their huge factory and needed it done to a set of split rim BBS wheel outers.

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
25-07-2012 05:17pm
MrHooky

(25-07-2012 03:38pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  Excuse me for challenging:

Here's the link and proof - http://www.rimfurbish.co.uk/prices.htm. £30 per wheel on top of the £63 for a 19" wheel so £93 all in to fully refurb a style 5.

Delivered 19/04/12
03-08-2012 08:49am
Daigriff

I took out the alloy wheel insurance and thought the service and finish excellent.
Have a couple of new small scuffs so will be getting them out again.

Glad I took it out...hassle free.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
03-08-2012 11:06pm