Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Wheel/Alloy Kerbed
stef.c

Wheel/Alloy Kerbed

What is the best solution for this? I have been in touch with my detailer who has recommended a few good places to take it to be fixed. The only one close to me is Wheel Works in Crawley. They seem to completely strip the paint, amend the scuff then reapply the paint and lacquer to match as closely as possible.

The problem I have is that I feel that this is overkill a little. And I do question how closely they can match the original paint. The scratch/gouge is only 2 or 3 inches long along the perimeter. Surely a localised repair would be better? I know there are mobile people that can come out to look at it to do this but have been advised against this. Does any one have any experience of this?

The other thing is the inconvenience of getting the repair. The only way I can see us getting the company in Crawley to get the repair done is to buy a spare, change it myself (little bit wary of this) then get them to pick up the damaged wheel for repair which will then be dropped back off a few days later. Hmm. How easy is it to change the wheel? Never really done this before (I'm ashamed to say).

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 12:26pm by stef.c.)
11-07-2012 12:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Wheel/Alloy Kerbed

depending on how deep it is and how handy you are you could just pick up some sparkle silver paint and touch it in yourself.
11-07-2012 12:43pm
stef.c

(11-07-2012 12:43pm)WB Wrote:  depending on how deep it is and how handy you are you could just pick up some sparkle silver paint and touch it in yourself.

Hmm not sure. I actually do retouching for a living on cars (digitally) so I would actually be pretty confident about doing that BUT the scratch is a little deeper so will need sanding I guess. Rather leave it to an expert.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
11-07-2012 01:01pm
doug

The thing is whether it's worth having it repaired yet.
Sod's law states that "once repaired item will become damaged again".
For me I would fill the area with some metal filler,sand down & than apply some silver paint around the area. Wait until you have more wheel damage before having them repaired. No harm in giving it a go yourself.

Once my wife has managed to damage all of my wheels. I will than have them stripped back, repaired & power coated in gloss black.

One of the sets of wheel (style 7 i think) is diamond cut, so can't be repaired. That's what my dealer told me anyway.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
11-07-2012 03:40pm
PhilSkill

Style 5 are diamond cut.

Never had a wheel repaired, but considering it on my Mazda as it has fairly big corrosion (well theres a surprise!) around the valve holes which is starting to spread to the tyre rim which cant be good for an airtight seal, no idea who to use though??

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-07-2012 11:33pm
doug

(11-07-2012 11:33pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Style 5 are diamond cut.

Thumbs Up PhilSkill

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
11-07-2012 11:39pm
jitenc

Lucky that I took a wheel/ alloy insurance out... Have send the pictures requested of the damaged alloys to the insurance company, who are sending a third party company to fix the alloys.
Will post pics when the alloys get repaired.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
12-07-2012 01:32am
fam1x

I took out wheel insurance from the dealer and managed to kerb the front alloy. Let the insurance company know the organised a local engineer to come out and fit the damage. It took him roughly 2 hours and it as good as new cant tell the difference. I'll post pictures before and after when I get home tonight Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2012 07:49am by fam1x.)
12-07-2012 11:38am
jitenc

Used the wheel and alloy insurance to get my kerbed front and rear passenger side alloys repaired.. The guy took 2hrs and did a superb job. Would recommend anyone getting a new car to take out the insurance.
My Evoque looks as good as new now.Smile

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
25-07-2012 07:35am
rvsvet

Anyone purchased the wheel and tyre insurance with Shadow Chrome (style 7) wheels? The small print on my policy says that chrome wheels are not covered by the policy. I have not challenged the dealer who sold me the policy to confirm that my wheels are covered. I am hoping that bright chromed wheels are excluded, but shadow chromes are acceptable. In other words, putting my faith (perhaps naively) in the salesman knowing his job and the products he is selling.

SD4 5 dr Dynamic Auto in OG with verve interior, Shadow Chrome style 7 alloys, Pano roof, privacy glass and spare wheel. Collected 25th May. 900 miles driven in 1st month.
25-07-2012 07:57am