Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What a trooper! 4 hours in the rain.
Doody

What a trooper! 4 hours in the rain.

I drove from Manhattan to Boston last night - leaving NYC a bit before 2300. It was raining most of the way.

I was repeatedly amazed with how the car performed. Smooth as silk and stuck like glue to wed roads at 0 to 20 MPH above the posted speed limits. Glue.

Auto windshield washers were perfect. Auto headlights: perfect. Seat positioning for a long drive was perfect. Audio system: perfect to keep me alert and engaged. Cruise control was perfect. Had to do some emergency breaking due to nitwits twice (once at 70 MPH in CT and once at about 40 MPH in the Bronx) - perfect performance - in the rain.

Flawless performance.

Really in love with this thing. New to me at 32K miles and she'll turn over to 40K today.

Doody

2012 Prestige Premium
07-12-2014 05:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: What a trooper! 4 hours in the rain.

Yes like all the modern Land and Range Rovers it is a very confidence inspiring car to drive in nasty conditions. When I was an RRS and L322 RR owner there were often postings like yours on their forums from ex BMW & Merecedes owners new to the marque who had never owned one of the cars before. The comment that usually came at the end of a post went along the lines that in their RRS or FFRR they now never felt the need to rush to their destination as the relaxing and confidence inspiring nature of the car made them prefer to slow down a bit and extend their journey because the driving envirnoment was so nice and relaxing!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-12-2014 11:45am
Amadeus

I've driven that route also in 2010 but in a hire car which was faultless. We went on to Newport then back to New York. Lovely trip!
Here in Oz we've had 8 days of wild weather and drove home the other day with only a few feet of visibility. The car handled well also avoiding some idiots who wanted to cross three lanes at once in torrential rain.

eD4 Pure Fuji Coupe | Tech Pack | Pano Roof | Cirrus Leather | Powerfold Mirrors | Xenons | 19" Style 3s | arr 5Apr13
08-12-2014 01:16pm
XFullFatTim

I have done a similar trip by Amtrak in the other direction as a tourist and also by ship via the Cape Cod Canal from Boston to Port Elizabeth NJ......... but I was working then!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 01:00pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-12-2014 01:53pm
Biker

Thou should not use cruise control in torrential weather. Really.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
10-12-2014 10:07am
XFullFatTim

Why Biker? It is so easy to disengage it. The latest incarnation of CC is used in conjunction with the Auto Terrain Response2 setting on RRS2 and L405 FFRR so you keep the same speed off road and it will automatically select the appropriate TR setting, ride height and the low ratio/ high ratio if needed as well as adjusting the downhill speed of car through the HDC! Next version you will be able to set the car off to drive offroad while you sit in the pub and watch it via a smart-phone app using the surround cams.............. Wink)

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 01:06pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-12-2014 01:02pm
KaDargo

Drinking lemonade obviously, Tim

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
10-12-2014 01:29pm
XFullFatTim

Of course - you will still be driving it even if you aren't physically in the vehicle! I hear that the next version is to be called InControl Totally Remote...........

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 01:59pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-12-2014 01:58pm
ogpurestyle

(10-12-2014 01:02pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Why Biker? It is so easy to disengage it. The latest incarnation of CC is used in conjunction with the Auto Terrain Response2 setting on RRS2 and L405 FFRR so you keep the same speed off road and it will automatically select the appropriate TR setting, ride height and the low ratio/ high ratio if needed as well as adjusting the downhill speed of car through the HDC! Next version you will be able to set the car off to drive offroad while you sit in the pub and watch it via a smart-phone app using the surround cams.............. Wink)

From my experience the CC disengages itself if the traction is impaired, on a journey in heavy rain @ 68mph on CC where a stream appeared across the road the CC disengaged as the traction control was called upon to ensure stability. To be honest the electronics were so effective all that was noticed by me was the CC no longer being on and my passengers noticed nothing untoward.
10-12-2014 04:14pm
Biker

First of all you should be slowing down ( I said torrential weather didn't I) and not maintain your dry weather highway speed. Being on manual throttle will allow you to better maintain and control a greater following distance and if you think ABS stop distance in dry weather and wet weather is equal, may the force be with you.
And shall I be first to admit that cruise control makes me lazy. And engaging and disengaging several times during a trip becomes annoying and thus I compromise more on following distance than I would have, did I not have cruise control. There, I said it.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
11-12-2014 08:34am