Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Whas is the Service Interval (SI4)?
slee18

RE: Whats is the Service Interval (SI4)?

(04-06-2012 04:58pm)mark_n Wrote:  I odn't think you need to do that for one minute. Maybe if you live in Death Valley where conditions are aduous but for normal road usae, it simply is not required and a completely pointless exercise if you go to "Jiffy-Lube" or some such and use inferior products. Much better to just to stick to the LR schedule; keep in mind too that (in theory at least) they are casting an experienced eye over the car to check for anything amiss.

We have had couple days of 40c+ days this last week and it sits in traffic with the A/C on high. I wont ever take my cars to a stop and rob oil change place. I normally do my own oil change or my trusted mechanic that is certified to work on Land Rover products. I actually wanted to change my oil myself at 7500 miles and send off the oil for analysis to see how the engine is doing.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
04-06-2012 07:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Whas is the Service Interval (SI4)?

I don't think high ambient temperatures will be a problem, it's more dust which can clog the air filter which is a problem. Of course, you are welcome to spend your money as you see fit but changing the oil and filter more often than specified confers little benefit.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 12:21am by mark_n.)
05-06-2012 12:14am
Straydox

RE: Whas is the Service Interval (SI4)?

Interesting thread...the reason the service intervals vary so much region to region isn't actually environmental at all but rather governed by by market economics based on who pays for the servicing.

In the Europe a sizeable portion of all the new cars registered are owned by the fleets and they don't want to lease vehicles that need frequent visits to the service shop for routine mainteance because that eats profit margins. A typical lease is 3 years/60,000 mile /100,000 km - that will be three services and maybe 1 set of tyres. Thus over the last 20 years there has been relentless pressure to reduce service intervals to a minimum - so more efficient filters and high-tech lubricants have made it possible.

In many other regions frequent maintenance visits have remained the norm - and a nice little (and completely pointless) earner it is too.

High ambient temperature environments as found in the southern half of the USA are really good for engines - fast warm up and low engine wear takes place. Conversely the UK climate is brutal to engines with accelerated wear taking place due to repeated cold starts and yes we have long service intervals to go with it...

LR Defenders are not really fleet market vehicles and with Flintstone technology (if it ain't broke don't fix it syndrome) get sucked into the frequent spanner experience.

Feel conned?? You should do....

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 01:13am by Straydox.)
05-06-2012 01:09am