Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Well that's just typical!
abcya

Well that's just typical!

Like many on this forum in drought-ridden southern England, I washed my car on Sunday taking a little extra care to clean it thoroughly including underneath etc.

I drive home this evening - the eve of the hosepipe ban - and it's tipping down with rain.

I just know my car will look like I've driven it through a field in the morning... Wink

Outraged of surburbia

Firenze red Dynamic 5-door with Verve interior and pano roof
03-04-2012 09:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ytshome

RE: Well that's just typical!

(03-04-2012 09:54pm)abcya Wrote:  Like many on this forum in drought-ridden southern England, I washed my car on Sunday taking a little extra care to clean it thoroughly including underneath etc.

I drive home this evening - the eve of the hosepipe ban - and it's tipping down with rain.

I just know my car will look like I've driven it through a field in the morning... Wink

Outraged of surburbia

Don't worry...be happy. All LR's look good dirtyLaughing

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
03-04-2012 10:15pm
mark_n

You have one more day. Hopepipe ban, at least for Thames Water, starts on 5 April. I have at least 2 cars to clean today...

Actually, I'm not convinced that washing a car with a jet wash is that much worse than buckets. Sure, aimlessly playing a low pressure hose over a car will waste water but using a jet wash to wet the surface, loosen the dirt before hand washing and then rinsing beats chucking buckets of water over the car.

The rain yesterday helpfully replenished my water butts and my jet wash can such water from one of those.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
04-04-2012 05:14am
Token

I like my cars like I like my women...dirty! Bring on the ban!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
04-04-2012 10:08am
malph

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoex...dd_up.html
04-04-2012 11:15am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The guy who used to come to do the odd detail of my RRS and FFRR has recently had to buy a portable dam thing to drive the car into and that then collects all the water used for washing the car. This isn't for water shortage reasons it is a requirement of the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency to prevent the chemical run-off from car washing from entering the water run-off system as they reckon it kills the little fishes and plants in the streams and rivers........
I suppose you could collect the run-off water to a water butt and re-use it after letting it settlout in a similar system in areas with a hose ban. Oddly he can detail your car on his site with out the dam so I assume he has some sort of water collection system there.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 11:32am by XFullFatTim.)
04-04-2012 11:30am
abcya

Best I go read the destructions for my jet washer. I'd not considered it being able to suck water from a garden water butt. I agree that particularly with a trigger action it uses a lot less water than a regular hose. Also not convinced by the 'three buckets and you're done' argument on the comments below the Auto Express article.

Firenze red Dynamic 5-door with Verve interior and pano roof
04-04-2012 11:12pm