Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Water spot removal?
doug

RE: Water spot removal?

(28-01-2013 11:18pm)Trapdoor Wrote:  Any reason why you can't use a Pressure Washer on low flow setting? My Karcher has a variable nozzle and I tend to use on low pressure to 'trickle off' the detergent as opposed to blasting it off....

I'm definitely quite keen to trying of these though as living close to the Mendip Hills, our water is very hard and will spot on almost any surface.

To higher a flow rate & the resin won't do it's job, but running a pressure washer on it's low flow rate should work, but you would need to take a sample of the water to check it's ppm. Giving a final rinse with a open ended hose will walk the water off the panels leaving them mostly dry.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
28-01-2013 11:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slee18

Scrannel what mixture of it did you use? Teaspoon per gallon?

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
03-02-2013 08:10pm
scrannel

(03-02-2013 08:10pm)slee18 Wrote:  Scrannel what mixture of it did you use? Teaspoon per gallon?

On a black car I used about 50-50 to 100%. Vinegar is not terribly acidic (which is why you can drink it, of course). Try a single spot if you want using 50-50 or even 2/3 water and gently brush it with a Q-tip, just to test. The chances of it actually attacking clear coat are extremely low. But make a test area if you want. We get a lot of water spotting in So. Cal from lawn sprinklers hosing down cars and then having it bake in the sun.

There are plenty of water spot removes on the market as well. Such as:

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-wa...mover.html

And our way: http://askville.amazon.com/water-spots-s...Id=1591707

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:19am by scrannel.)
04-02-2013 09:14am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

To avoid them in the first place I remember a few years back when the SE of England had droughts instead of floods, that the guys over on RRSport were all using de-ionizers to rinse their cars. You can buy de-ionising filters that screw in between the tap and the hose. They reckoned their cars stayed cleaner longer and also they didn't suffer water spot marks. Don't know why it works and have never needed to use one myself as we have soft water in Scotland (and it hasn't been passed by five strangers before you get to use it!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-02-2013 01:17pm
Evo-king

Tim, you are right about the de ionised water bit, detailers tend to use filtered water, but the OP didn't have that luxury sprinkled on him.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
04-02-2013 10:40pm