Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Water spot removal?
slee18

Water spot removal?

What's the best stuff to remove water spots? A sprinkler decided it need to water the grass in the middle of winter

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
05-01-2013 09:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Water spot removal?

If regular car shampoo isn't removing them then you may need to use a fine polish.
05-01-2013 11:33pm
scrannel

Had a black car once that would show any sort of spotting. The water is, basically (no pun intended), PH alkaline. I found a light solution of PH acid, that is, white vinegar, did the trick.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
27-01-2013 04:21pm
Kimv

Water spot removal?

(27-01-2013 04:21pm)scrannel Wrote:  Had a black car once that would show any sort of spotting. The water is, basically (no pun intended), PH alkaline. I found a light solution of PH acid, that is, white vinegar, did the trick.

Would a little bit of white vinegar help against water that holds a lot of calcium and thus leaves a lot of marks when it dries up?

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
27-01-2013 08:52pm
doug

Using a DI resin filter for the final rinse will stop any water spots. With no need to dry off the paint, just wash & go.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
27-01-2013 09:09pm
broady43

(27-01-2013 09:09pm)doug Wrote:  Using a DI resin filter for the final rinse will stop any water spots. With no need to dry off the paint, just wash & go.

Where do I get a DI resin filter from?

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
28-01-2013 12:04am
doug

(28-01-2013 12:04am)broady43 Wrote:  Where do I get a DI resin filter from?

I use a 8L resin vessel Filled with mixed bed DI resin (demineralisation resin) which will give you 0ppm water.
There are ones on the Market made for car washing, but these you have to bin after 20-50 rinses as the resin will change colour (depends on how hard your supply is).

DI filters are made for the last stage of Reverse Osmosis, but some companies have now cottoned on to this for car washing & sell them at much higher prices.

The softer the water, the longer the resin will last. For around £15.00 you can buy a ppm meter (or wait until the water spots return). Because Suffolk water is so hard, I use stored rain water which is then filtered & pumped so the resin will last for years.

Tip. Only use the filter for the final rinse, with a slow running open ended hose. Never use with a pressure washer.

The company I use to buy my filters from are http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=145
You need to click on the "filled with resin" box, or it will turn up empty. I have spent many a hour looking over the Web & this one is the best/cheapest on the Market.

One of the golden rules of vehicle detailing is to touch the paint as little as possible. Not to mention the time saved on not having to dry off your car.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
28-01-2013 10:08am
scrannel

(27-01-2013 08:52pm)Kimv Wrote:  Would a little bit of white vinegar help against water that holds a lot of calcium and thus leaves a lot of marks when it dries up?

Usually, yes. That calcium is a very mild version of bird crap which is so "base" it will attack your finish. I'd give it a try. Remember, vinegar can be used to remove calcium deposits from faucets, etc.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
28-01-2013 08:39pm
broady43

(28-01-2013 10:08am)doug Wrote:  I use a 8L resin vessel Filled with mixed bed DI resin (demineralisation resin) which will give you 0ppm water.
There are ones on the Market made for car washing, but these you have to bin after 20-50 rinses as the resin will change colour (depends on how hard your supply is).

DI filters are made for the last stage of Reverse Osmosis, but some companies have now cottoned on to this for car washing & sell them at much higher prices.

The softer the water, the longer the resin will last. For around £15.00 you can buy a ppm meter (or wait until the water spots return). Because Suffolk water is so hard, I use stored rain water which is then filtered & pumped so the resin will last for years.

Tip. Only use the filter for the final rinse, with a slow running open ended hose. Never use with a pressure washer.

The company I use to buy my filters from are http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=145
You need to click on the "filled with resin" box, or it will turn up empty. I have spent many a hour looking over the Web & this one is the best/cheapest on the Market.

One of the golden rules of vehicle detailing is to touch the paint as little as possible. Not to mention the time saved on not having to dry off your car.
Thanks for that I'll give it a go.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
28-01-2013 10:11pm
Trapdoor

(28-01-2013 10:08am)doug Wrote:  Tip. Only use the filter for the final rinse, with a slow running open ended hose. Never use with a pressure washer.

Any reason why you can't use a Pressure Washer on low flow setting? My Karcher has a variable nozzle and I tend to use on low pressure to 'trickle off' the detergent as opposed to blasting it off....

I'm definitely quite keen to trying of these though as living close to the Mendip Hills, our water is very hard and will spot on almost any surface.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
28-01-2013 11:18pm