Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wanting to buy an Evoque but....
mbjay

I went to the auto show today in Houston and had a chance to sit in the 4 door. I could not get over how incredibly comfortable the seats are. They are like sitting on clouds, and I loved it! I came home and found this forum and did some reading around. Almost every other post is about something going wrong and these things being in the shop all the time. I couldn't believe it. I have a Scion XB that I use as a daily driver and for work (5 years and 120k miles) and have never even had the CEL come on once. I would be trading it in for an Evoque and using that as my primary vehicle but I can not take the chance on having this thing in the shop that often when its my work vehicle. I absolutely love the look of these and again how comfortable it is, I want to love them and own one but damn are they really that bad? Oh and do they not offer these in manuals or are the only automatics?
26-01-2015 04:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Wanting to buy an Evoque but....

Reliability - no thery are not that bad, here you get a concentrated view of the problems because 99% of people don't praise how good a car is, but they whinge loudly when it doesn't work as intended! I plead guilty to it too, but when my current car is running as intended it is a great car

Because Americans don't know how to manually shift gears( in the eyes of Land Rover) the all US cars are autos. Also the 2.0ltre Petrol engine is auto only in Europe too, only the diesels have the option of a manual shift.

My first Evoque was fantastic, my 2nd one has had issues but hopefully apart from one rattle that requires removal of the front screen, those are now fixed and that will be the end of it. Actually when you consider how many Evoques have been built relatively few have had issues, and those that have have generally been fixed pretty quickly and their owners have been happy with their cars since.

Bear in mind that Internet forums are an easy place for owners to beat up the makers as it is often the only recourse that they have towards the maker. We are very lucky here in that we have the UK end of Land Rover Customer Services participating in the forum and although they are here for UK owners I know that Pete and his colleagues have helped overseas members who have been having problems with their national LR offices and poor resolution of issues.

The Evoque is a fantastic car, there are occassional hickups but them ALL car makes don't get it right 100% of the time either, some are better at dealing with problems others are much much worse.

Some US members of the forum have raised the issue about how thinly spread the dealerships are in the USA, so before signing on the dotted line for any Land Rover product I would suggest you check that your nearest dealer/service bay isn't two days drive away!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 05:23am by XFullFatTim.)
26-01-2015 05:15am
Stadt Panzer

Mbjay,
I've just sold my second Evoque and my third arrives this Thursday. They are a great car, otherwise I wouldn't be getting my third, I did 30,000 miles in 12 months in my last one and it didn't miss a beat.
As Tim says, people always complain the loudest but you'll hear nothing from those who are happy.
I've loved my last two Evoque's and I'm sure the new one will be no different.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
26-01-2015 01:19pm
Bruno787

knock on wood, but my Evoque is almost 3 years old, though i barely drive long distances, it has been very reliable and probably the best suv ived owned

15 Maserati Quattroporte GTS
11 Mini John Cooper Works
12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic
26-01-2015 01:27pm
mbjay

You guys have a good point. You won't get people on a forum saying "the car ran great today". Plus I was searching for the common issues so I can see your point.
Really sucks that I can't get one here with a manual, I do not like automatics but I'll have to deal with it if I get one.
Yes there are two dealerships in and around Houston, though they are both a bit of a drive from where I live. Thank you for the replies. I will be looking more into it.
26-01-2015 01:59pm
benzina

(26-01-2015 01:27pm)Bruno787 Wrote:  knock on wood, but my Evoque is almost 3 years old, though i barely drive long distances, it has been very reliable and probably the best suv ived owned

Same here too. 3 years in, and it continues to fill me with joy every time i either look at it, or drive it,plus it's been so dependable. Yep the seats are truly the most comfortable seats i've ever sat in, and the ride with Active Dynamics in normal mode is absolutely superb!
Also see the reliability poll here.... http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Reliabili...Electrical It's been mostly very very good overall.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 02:12pm by benzina.)
26-01-2015 02:08pm
mbjay

Yeah I work on everything from Hondas to Bugatti's and those seats blew me away! I will look at the poll thank you.
26-01-2015 03:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You can't spec them in the US I believe, but the Plus Pack Recaros are the most comfortable seat I've had in any car, and that includes 2 Full Fat Range Rovers, 2 Range Rover Sports and what us supposed to be one of the best for comfortable car seats, a Volvo.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-01-2015 04:11pm
Redrob

If you don't buy an Evoque, you will end up kicking yourself every time you see one,
Great car.

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
26-01-2015 04:49pm
sorcerer

The Evoque is a great car and nothing beats it for looks as far as I am concerned.
I am on my third Dynamic and have had this current one for almost nine months now.
I have had some issues, but to be fair to Land Rover and my dealer, they have been fixed to my satisfaction and quickly.
I don't keep my cars very long, so have considered changing for something else....but what?
There is no other car I really fancy....I have to have a good looking car to enjoy driving it in the first place.
Porsche Macan....not so good looking, but excellent to drive.
Audi SQ5.....supposedly a good drive, but not so good to look at either.
It has now got to the stage where I have contemplated a forth Evoque, but possibly an Si4 as opposed to the diesel engined ones I have had before, or even a new Discovery sport, or just keep the one I have until something I really fancy (apart from Kylie) comes out.Laughing
26-01-2015 08:21pm