Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wading/Fording Experience
TE12BOY

Wading/Fording Experience

Hi, today I had my first experience of the capabilities of my Evoque. I inadvertantly drove down through a local ford which is influenced by the tides and ended up having to wade through the highest tide of the year. I didn't realise the water was going to be so deep and before I knew it I was in a no going back situation. I had selected Ice/Snow terrain mode because I didn't know what was best and kept up a bow wave moving slowly through the water! Two unnerving things happened whilst in my scared state 1) The revs got very high as if i was in a very low gear and 2) There was a bit of an oily smell which I assume was due to the fact that the exhaust was submerged and cleared when I emerged out of the water.

Can anybody reassure me that the car is undamaged. It didn't splutter as it went through and the only noticeable engine pitch change came when the revs changed. It drove normally after coming out - no cutting out or any hesitancy! No water in car although the water seemed to be much deeper than the recommended wading depth! Also checked engine compartment and everything ship-shape as it were!

The water was probably brackish so should I have underside of car washed?

It's something I wouldn't do again and I could do with some reassurance!

Thanks all.
17-10-2012 01:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: Wading/Fording Experience

The official wading depth for your Evoque is 500mm, providing you didn't exceed that by too much you and as no water got into the vehicle you should be OK. As the engine kept running there is little chance of water seeping back up the exhaust. Oily smell was probably water on the catalytic converter/exhaust and providing its not still smelling you should be fine.

If the water was brackish, muddy, dirty then I'd certainly wash the underside and also the wheels, hubs and brakes to make sure they are all clean and free of residual nasty stuff.

Overall, you should be OK - if you're still worried pop into the Dealer and I'm sure they'll reassure you or if there's one nearby pop into a Land Rover Experience Centre and they'll do the same.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 02:26pm by rchrdleigh.)
17-10-2012 02:24pm
PhilSkill

Sounds like you got away with it, the important thing is the water did not get into the engine air intake (that is the detailing at the back of the bonnet on the sides, you would have stopped and been stranded if it did and that you kept the bow wave going and didn't stop. What you need to be careful of is any areas that grease could be washed out of, wheel bearings, cv joints etc. Not heard of any parts of the Evoque that this is neccessary for and whenever i've asked at LRE centres they always say no extra servicing is required. Give it a good clean, check the engine bay for any debris washed in, check your brakes and the electronic handbrake are functioning etc, if anything starts to sound awry you may want to take it to the dealer, read the manual to ensure you don't break any warranty conditions otherwise this is what the car should be for.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
17-10-2012 02:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You did yourself a great favour by being brave enough to drive on, if you had reversed back you would for sure have caused a lot of damage down the exhaust system by forcing water back down it. A really good high pressure fresh water wash down is really important as even though you went through "brackish water", how ever as it was also TIDAL and high tide, best to assume that it was pure seawater. Try and find a load of deeper puddles to go and drive through...................... slowly or a SHALLOW FW ford further in land - there is a Ford website - http://www.wetroads.co.uk so you can find one near to you. One tip, to check how deep the water is get a pair of wellies and a garden cane. Mark the 500mm on the bamboo cane with and elastic band. Next stop before you get to the water, put on the wellies and wade into the water with your cane.............. if the water comes over the top of the wellies you are getting deep and will get wet feet, consider not going into the water. If you are brave enough to continue with wet feet then use the garden cane. Best advice though is the top of the wellingtons one as it gives you a margin of error!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 03:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-10-2012 03:36pm
rchrdleigh

When I went to an LRE they indicated that the safe limit for all vehicles was to go no deeper than the top of the wheel. That way you keep the water well below the air intake and also out of the way of items in the engine bay that don't like water such as the air conditioning fan (safer still turn it off) and the electrics and electronics.
17-10-2012 04:00pm
doug

Anyone up for giving this a go at the weekend Wink

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
17-10-2012 04:24pm
Poke

does this video can confort you ? Smile

On Order Since 19 march 2012
Delivered 05 october 2012
Pure 5 Door, Orkney grey with Ebony Interior, Si4, Automatic, Wheel Style 4, Tech Pack, Visibility Pack, Pano Roof, Rear Cam, Powered Tailgate and Power Folding Mirrors.
17-10-2012 04:51pm
Evo-king

Been there and done that, great fun.

What you have to understand the at the LRE centres they are still controlled environments, and wading like that is in a channel.

On the Full day experience our instructor pointed out that when entering water as in a ford situation you have to be aware not only of depth but also current speed, as the car can tend to get buoyant and you can get swept away easier than you think.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
17-10-2012 05:37pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Ahh the delights of owning an old Land Rover with a stripped out interior! The fun you can have is limitless. My neighbours love it when I bring my Def back all covered inside and out with mud, park it on a slope and then put the garden hose in the footwells and rear tub! They are less happy when I wash all the mud off the outside though................ even though I clean up the street and shovel all the mud and plantlife into my own garden

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2012 06:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-10-2012 06:23pm
Bodlyfunctions

Went swimming in ours in June in the floods and not a problem since. Like you just kept moving slowly forwards. Got a bit scary when the bow wave covered the headlights for a couple of seconds but made it through safely.
Not in a rush to repeat it but it lived up to its Land Rover heritage!!!
17-10-2012 11:37pm