Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Volvo Freedom Event
PhilSkill

Volvo Freedom Event

Not to see a freebie pass by, I was offered to test drive some new Volvos at their Freedom event, so chance to drive the V40 D3 and the XC60 D5 Lux,

The V40 was a serious contender to replace the C30, but where are Volvo heading? Its ok on looks, better rear end than front, with practicality of 4 doors, but theyve taken nice new tech and used it for too much bling, it had a very nice tft dash, but the design was in your face gaudy, ok looked like you could change themes so maybe some better designs, the console was the same, too many small fiddly buttons, then driving, nice chassis and handling, but that D3 engine was very turbo laggy frustrating to drive and slow to pick up, sometimes with your foot on the floor it went no faster, there was also the most horrible shudder which seemed to occur on transition from power to off power felt through the steering, one thing I liked was the gaudy dash showed the manual gear number selected, wich is on the Evoque wish list. Key had a FL2 style keyslot and engine was smoother and quieter on idle. This car is now off the shopping list, official MPG 70, on the dials 32!

Of more interest was the XC60 D5 Lux, a direct contender against the Evoque at £43000, obviously reasonable looks again but in no comparison, Interior typically Volvo and no comparison either, more plastic and not so nice design inside, again small fiddly buttons too crowded, dials much older blocky black and white lcd, in real dials. Driving was quite good, D5 engine 215hp was a good engine suited the size of vehicle, bigger than the Evoque by a fair margin, again well planted with active roll no complaints there, if this car was 5k cheaper it would be more of a contender, as it is unless you need that extra space why pay more than an Evoque for it. Didnt see official MPG figures but on the dials 24MPG!

Back in my Evoque exterior exquisite, interior sumptuous in comparison and was total bliss. On the dials 41MPG...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-03-2013 01:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

RE: Volvo Freedom Event

I once thought about chopping in my first Fl2 for an XC60, but choose to go with another Fl2.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
10-03-2013 01:19pm
WB
WB

I've seen mega discounts on the xc60 - I'm sure it was £7k off list - have you asked a dealer what sort of deal you can get?
10-03-2013 01:54pm
PhilSkill

(10-03-2013 01:54pm)WB Wrote:  I've seen mega discounts on the xc60 - I'm sure it was £7k off list - have you asked a dealer what sort of deal you can get?

No, wasnt overly interested as it wasnt a patch on the Evoque except for boot space and practicality. I certainly would not want to be paying list for it !

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-03-2013 12:15am