Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vehicle price, luxury car tax and delivery fee
Maarten

Vehicle price, luxury car tax and delivery fee

I received a quote for my evoque from two different Australian dealers. To my surprise there is a difference of AUD 1861 on what I thought should be the same wherever I order in Australia.

My Evoque: SD4 prestige. Factory options: prestige tech pack, auto transmission, sunroof, adaptive dynamics.

Dealer one calculates vehicle price (incl GST) + factory options (incl GST) + dealer delivery (incl GST) and calculates the Luxury Car Tax (LCT) over this amount.
Dealer two calculates vehicle price (less LCT) + factory options (less LCT) + dealer delivery fee (incl GST) and calculates the LCT over this amount.
A difference of AUD 1861.

Is there anyone in Australia who can explain me the correct procedure to calculate the total price incl the LCT and GST?
Is the delivery fee the same with all Australian dealers?

Thanks!!!

Evoque Prestige | Build: 16 Feb 2012 | Delivered: 23 April 2012
Auto | SD4 | 5 door | Fuji white | Spirit interior | Prestige tech pack | Adaptive dynamics | Panoramic roof | 20" Style 6 wheels Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 10:50pm by cjfp.)
29-10-2011 09:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Capital

RE: Vehicle price, luxury car tax and delivery fee

(29-10-2011 09:57am)Maarten Wrote:  I received a quote for my evoque from two different Australian dealers. To my surprise there is a difference of AUD 1861 on what I thought should be the same wherever I order in Australia.

My Evoque: SD4 prestige. Factory options: prestige tech pack, auto transmission, sunroof, adaptive dynamics.

Dealer one calculates vehicle price (incl GST) + factory options (incl GST) + dealer delivery (incl GST) and calculates the Luxury Car Tax (LCT) over this amount.
Dealer two calculates vehicle price (less LCT) + factory options (less LCT) + dealer delivery fee (incl GST) and calculates the LCT over this amount.
A difference of AUD 1861.

Is there anyone in Australia who can explain me the correct procedure to calculate the total price incl the LCT and GST?
Is the delivery fee the same with all Australian dealers?

Thanks!!!
I am not sure that these two examples you give are any different. The GST can be listed on each item (price options dealer delivery) or can be applied at the end. In net terms it is the same and in each case the LCT test is applied on the full amount.

LCT is charged on the price of the car (retail less any discount + options + dealer charges + GST) that is over the threshold ($57k or $75k depending on fuel efficiency) The GST is in used in determining this threshold but excluded when calculating the amount of LCT that has to be paid. (you don't pay a tax on a tax)

So if the $57k threshold applies and your car with GST and dealer delivery costs $68k you pay 33% LCT on 11k less the GST. In this case the LCT of 33% would apply to 10k of the price.

You can trust governments to come up with complex taxes.

LCT is not charged on stamp duty or registration.

The dealer will have systems that make the calculations automatically.

Dealer charges are negotiable as is the price

Note: edited with more detail
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2011 09:31am by Capital.)
29-10-2011 10:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply