Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
[VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running
Ezandania

[VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running

According to this guy, theoretically your Evoque can be car-jacked to as far as how much fuel you have in-tank at that particular time. Makes you go hmm. How does other marques combat this?

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
22-01-2012 08:28pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cedric

RE: [VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running

(22-01-2012 08:28pm)Ezandania Wrote:  

According to this guy, theoretically your Evoque can be car-jacked to as far as how much fuel you have in-tank at that particular time. Makes you go hmm. How does other marques combat this?

He didn't open the door while throwing the key out, but threw it through the window. I wonder if it still works if he had opened the door to throw out the key.
22-01-2012 10:03pm
Claud

RE: [VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running

Mine warns you when the key is absent with the engine running, so it would be hard to drive far without the key unless you never look down at the speedo!

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
22-01-2012 10:57pm
LDT

When my car arrives, it seems that gone will be the days of getting out of the car, engine running, to close the gates. Really bad habit I know, but this has applied my mind. Must switch off and lock, no matter how quickly I can close the gates. Aside from anything else, I wouldn't be insured, let alone the heartache of losing my make up! Evil

Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
22-01-2012 11:02pm
slee18

All cars with the smart keys do this. Since he didn't open the door the system didn't tell him there is no key. My 07 Lexus did the same thing once you open the door it tells you that the key is missing but doesn't stop the motor.

Key is for starting the vehicle not for driving. You can't lock or unlock the doors with the remote when it is running either

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
23-01-2012 12:50am
Biker

My car also tells me when the engine is running and I open the door and walk away. It starts beeping too.
But seriously, if you keep engine running and door unlocked - you ask for it to be stolen.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
23-01-2012 07:48am
Sarcastrix

I took a new Evoque out for a 30min test drive without the key. Dealer started the motor and drove it out of the showroom and accidentally kept the key, I just drove off Laughing

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
23-01-2012 08:53am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It's all very well until you stop the engine somewhere and then it will not start. To ensure this didn't happen with my car LPR asked me to sign that i had received both keys - I suspect that one of their other clients drove off with the keys still in the showroom or salesman's pocket after the demo of what all the controls do!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-01-2012 12:07pm
Sarcastrix

(23-01-2012 12:07pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It's all very well until you stop the engine somewhere and then it will not start.

Oh yes, we were lucky ... and lost. The SAT-NAV was set on Belgium so could not find the dealership again. One brand-new car quickly became an ex-demo Laughing

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
23-01-2012 01:14pm
tetstb

Happened to me the other day. Dropped the wife off at a shop and drove round the other side of the car park. After a few yards the car reported smart key missing , ok to clear and I did. The car drove on and I was able to park up and sit and wait about 100m from the shop she was in without issue , engine still running and I was able to have full normal use of the car.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
23-01-2012 05:30pm