Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uploading CDs
Donny Dog

Uploading CDs

Question

I need some help/advice, please!

I have been uploading CDs on to the hard drive. However, this takes about 50% of normal running time, and has failed on more than one occasion, such that to successfully download two one-hour CDs has taken over 90 minutes (with the car engine having to run all this time)! Am I doing something wrong? I get 'Gracenote' messages on some but not others - does that suggest there is a problem with the type/age/licence of the CDs (they are all properly purchased proprietary brands, not downloads).

Apart from playing the CDs directly without uploading, what is the best way to get this music into a format I can use in the car (MP3, USB, etc.), and, in laymans' terms, how do I do it? Thanks!
17-03-2012 12:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

RE: Uploading CDs

(17-03-2012 12:30pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Question

I need some help/advice, please!

I have been uploading CDs on to the hard drive. However, this takes about 50% of normal running time, and has failed on more than one occasion, such that to successfully download two one-hour CDs has taken over 90 minutes (with the car engine having to run all this time)! Am I doing something wrong? I get 'Gracenote' messages on some but not others - does that suggest there is a problem with the type/age/licence of the CDs (they are all properly purchased proprietary brands, not downloads).

Apart from playing the CDs directly without uploading, what is the best way to get this music into a format I can use in the car (MP3, USB, etc.), and, in laymans' terms, how do I do it? Thanks!

The in-car hard disk stores just 10 CDs at original quality - so called 'lossless'. There have been numerous threads about the amount of time it takes to rip the CD's onto the internal storage/Gracenote etc so best have a search.

MP3 Wikipedia page on MP3 is a compressed music file format (i.e. not lossless), with a trade off between sound quality and data file size (the higher the bit-rate the bigger the file is). Perceived sound quality is a personal thing - I can tell the difference between a 128 and a 192 k/bit music file but bit rates above that appear to be the same (to me).

So how do you turn CDs into MP3 files? If you have a Windows PC then the newer versions of Windows Media Player (right click the top of the player and select 'Show Menu Bar' and select Tools/Options and then you will see a RIP music tab with an adjustable slider to. set the bit rate. Yiu can configure it to automatically rip CDs and specify the file save location. It will access a web based library for track names etc. You then copy the resulting folders onto a USB stick and you are in business.

The RRE will also accept an Apple Ipod and their proprietary file format (iTunes will rip your CDs for you) - personally speaking I find the Apple device's indexing system really annoying so prefer MP3 on USB. Apple claim that their format is 'Lossless' to my ears it never sounds quite right - as I said above sound quality is a personal thing.

You can also rip DVDs into DIVx format using the DIVx tools and view those via USB too. Enjoy.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 17-03-2012 03:31pm by Straydox.)
17-03-2012 03:30pm
Donny Dog

(17-03-2012 03:30pm)Straydox Wrote:  The in-car hard disk stores just 10 CDs at original quality - so called 'lossless'. There have been numerous threads about the amount of time it takes to rip the CD's onto the internal storage/Gracenote etc so best have a search.

MP3 Wikipedia page on MP3 is a compressed music file format (i.e. not lossless), with a trade off between sound quality and data file size (the higher the bit-rate the bigger the file is). Perceived sound quality is a personal thing - I can tell the difference between a 128 and a 192 k/bit music file but bit rates above that appear to be the same (to me).

So how do you turn CDs into MP3 files? If you have a Windows PC then the newer versions of Windows Media Player (right click the top of the player and select 'Show Menu Bar' and select Tools/Options and then you will see a RIP music tab with an adjustable slider to. set the bit rate. Yiu can configure it to automatically rip CDs and specify the file save location. It will access a web based library for track names etc. You then copy the resulting folders onto a USB stick and you are in business.

The RRE will also accept an Apple Ipod and their proprietary file format (iTunes will rip your CDs for you) - personally speaking I find the Apple device's indexing system really annoying so prefer MP3 on USB. Apple claim that their format is 'Lossless' to my ears it never sounds quite right - as I said above sound quality is a personal thing.

You can also rip DVDs into DIVx format using the DIVx tools and view those via USB too. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a search for the other threads (I've been on this forum a while, and hadn't noticed them, but it's only when you get your own car and start tinkering that the significance strikes you). I have ordered a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade and will give the 'ripping' a go when it arrives. If I succeed, I suppose I'll have some 'ripping yarns' to tell!Laughing

Thanks again StrayDox (should be Stray Dogs then we'd match!Wink)
17-03-2012 07:16pm
Donny Dog

As an update, my wife downloaded a couple of CDs onto her computer. We then put the new 'cruzer blade' into the USB slot, and sat there wondering what to do next, only to realise that it had already done it by itself!! Within a minute, we were sitting in the car listening to the same music. Even compressed, or whatever the correct term is, the reproduction was awesome, and I certainly couldn't detect any loss compared with the CDs I'd loaded on to the hard drive. In fact, the sound was better, probably because my wife's Cds are a lot newer than mine.

Thanks for your advice, Straydox!
24-03-2012 12:04pm
Straydox

(24-03-2012 12:04pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  As an update, my wife downloaded a couple of CDs onto her computer. We then put the new 'cruzer blade' into the USB slot, and sat there wondering what to do next, only to realise that it had already done it by itself!! Within a minute, we were sitting in the car listening to the same music. Even compressed, or whatever the correct term is, the reproduction was awesome, and I certainly couldn't detect any loss compared with the CDs I'd loaded on to the hard drive. In fact, the sound was better, probably because my wife's Cds are a lot newer than mine.

Thanks for your advice, Straydox!

You are most welcome - enjoy!

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
24-03-2012 02:51pm
jojosr

Hi,
does Evoque's player also support FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) codec?
Thanks.

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
24-03-2012 09:05pm
cjfp

Flac - check here

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Meridian-...light=Flac

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Can-any-E...light=Flac

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
24-03-2012 09:13pm
LDT

I am hoping that someone could please offer advice.

I partially uploaded a CD, which is not showing as stored, despite the fact that the music is playing when I go into that menu. I cannot therefore delete what is there.

I have attempted repeatedly to upload the same CD, firstly trying to over-write the above at Slot 1. When this would not work I have tried slots 2, 3 etc., pressed upload, and nothing happens. Audio reverts to the stored music at slot 1.

All has been working well until now. I deleted a couple of stored CD's yesterday and since then have this issue.

I have spoken to the dealership who I had hoped could tell me how to carry out the equivalent of control/alt/delete in an attempt to clear the problem, but they could not help. Rather than take the car to the dealership could anyone offer a solution please?

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
23-04-2012 04:55pm
cs33wa

Hi there...can someone confirm that the hard disk storage only come with HDD sat nav?
I just wasn't sure whether the 10 cd storage is a feature of the meridian system or the HDD Sat Nav system.
Thanks!

Ordered:31/7/12
My13 Si4 Dynamic 5 Door Fuji White, new tech pack, new convinient pack, pano, adaptive dynamic, style7 wheel
Built 16th Nov 2012
Delivered: 17th Jan 2013
Wait is over...love my baby!!!
02-08-2012 08:39pm
tron515

When I checked the manual I get the impression it is only with the sat nav as it has a HDD built in, or tech pack, the only way to tell is to go to, off the top of my head the manual will say probably better, from home menu>audio/video>my audio>cd storage.

Tron515, if it isn't technical it might not happen.

Pure SD4 Automatic, 4WD, Tech Pack, Indus Silver, Ebony Grained Leather.
27-08-2012 07:21pm