Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgraded To Signature Xenon Lights (from Halogen)
Jeroma

RE: Upgraded To Signature Xenon Lights (from Halogen)

(03-03-2015 04:20pm)bangsters Wrote:  Is it easy to remove the current headlights? I have mine for a few months now and I haven't gotten the chance to install them yet.

I might just sell my headlights instead, not sure if I can replace the headlights on my own lol.
---------------------------------------------------
First to answer your question. To remove the light units is not a great deal, but no plain sailing either.

To start with the removal of the grill is not what is said. The plastic screws are more plugs than screws as they DONT screw out, you will have to prise them out with a fine screwdriver. A firm pull at the bottom will release the grill.
After having followed the instructions in the manual for a bulb change you have to pull the unit forwards.
There comes catch21. In my case one of the lips, the center one, securing the glass to the light body did hook up with the top of the bumper and it was almost impossible to go further. This took place on both sides. By applying some force I managed to bend the lip backwards and the unit came out. Could have been dramatic in cold weather.
Next time I would insert a thin sheet of plastic as guide to make the lip slip over the bumper.
I did also uncouple the release handle at the top as it came in conflict with the upper transverse section.

I have been advised to do all that in a warmer environment as in the the most unfortunate case you risk to crack the glass

Now to Jason. As you gave some hope I undertook he conversion yesterday. Before removing the units in situ I connected the Xenon unit as a trial, and to my surprise every thing worked to my satisfaction. Not what my dealer's mechanic said, fortunately for me.
Highly motivated I continued and replaced both units. As the seller told me, " a question of plug and play ".
All works as factory designed, dip control as with Halogens, only level control is manual, but functions and no warnings issued.
I probably have to adjust the geometry between the lights, have to wait until dark.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
10-03-2015 12:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bangsters

(10-03-2015 12:15pm)Jeroma Wrote:  ---------------------------------------------------
First to answer your question. To remove the light units is not a great deal, but no plain sailing either.

To start with the removal of the grill is not what is said. The plastic screws are more plugs than screws as they DONT screw out, you will have to prise them out with a fine screwdriver. A firm pull at the bottom will release the grill.
After having followed the instructions in the manual for a bulb change you have to pull the unit forwards.
There comes catch21. In my case one of the lips, the center one, securing the glass to the light body did hook up with the top of the bumper and it was almost impossible to go further. This took place on both sides. By applying some force I managed to bend the lip backwards and the unit came out. Could have been dramatic in cold weather.
Next time I would insert a thin sheet of plastic as guide to make the lip slip over the bumper.
I did also uncouple the release handle at the top as it came in conflict with the upper transverse section.

I have been advised to do all that in a warmer environment as in the the most unfortunate case you risk to crack the glass

Now to Jason. As you gave some hope I undertook he conversion yesterday. Before removing the units in situ I connected the Xenon unit as a trial, and to my surprise every thing worked to my satisfaction. Not what my dealer's mechanic said, fortunately for me.
Highly motivated I continued and replaced both units. As the seller told me, " a question of plug and play ".
All works as factory designed, dip control as with Halogens, only level control is manual, but functions and no warnings issued.
I probably have to adjust the geometry between the lights, have to wait until dark.

Thanks for the tip. I might take a stab at it when it gets a little bit warmer.

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
12-03-2015 03:26pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kugaman1

Hey Jasons.....

I just noticed, you have fitted AFS lights......I wonder if thats a factor?

I also wonder if your lamp units are properly facing forwards and will they move?? Not sure if the AFS function locks into a position if not used?? Obviously, your car isnt AFS capable, so is that a potential issue?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2015 07:13pm by Kugaman1.)
12-03-2015 07:12pm
jasons

(12-03-2015 07:12pm)Kugaman1 Wrote:  Hey Jasons.....

I just noticed, you have fitted AFS lights......I wonder if thats a factor?

I also wonder if your lamp units are properly facing forwards and will they move?? Not sure if the AFS function locks into a position if not used?? Obviously, your car isnt AFS capable, so is that a potential issue?

I checked/ played with them before installing and they are fixed in position, the difference between these and the other version of the xenons is that these don't raise up/level on switch on (apparently that's a standard feature)..

J
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2015 09:21pm by jasons.)
12-03-2015 09:20pm
Kugaman1

Hmmm,
Maybe thats it then??

Maybe AFS lights will be the answer?
13-03-2015 07:34am
Olhemes

I think the possible problem is the year model. Mine is 2011-2012.

Next week I 'll try to put the oem xenon headlights, if I have problems with the lighting of xenon , proves put a relay to problems xenon .
(This post was last modified: 13-03-2015 01:19pm by Olhemes.)
13-03-2015 01:15pm
Kugaman1

(13-03-2015 01:15pm)Olhemes Wrote:  I think the possible problem is the year model. Mine is 2011-2012.

Next week I 'll try to put the oem xenon headlights, if I have problems with the lighting of xenon , proves put a relay to problems xenon .

No, its not the model year either.

Jasons is a March 2014 mines a August 2014. We both have headlight washers.
HID work in his, not in mine.

The only thing I can think is that his lights are AFS.......seems to be the only difference.....
17-03-2015 05:14pm
Jeroma

(17-03-2015 05:14pm)Kugaman1 Wrote:  No, its not the model year either.

The only thing I can think is that his lights are AFS.......seems to be the only difference.....
-----------------------------
The Xenons units I fitted are non AFS and the car is an MY14 built end October 13
I just checked the label on the units, indicating HID LH or RH EU.
They show a quite strange light pattern, very wide and you would not need any fog lights or adaptive.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
17-03-2015 09:04pm
Kugaman1

????

Eh???

Are you sqying you have factory hids working?
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 09:16am by Kugaman1.)
18-03-2015 09:03am
Olhemes

(17-03-2015 05:14pm)Kugaman1 Wrote:  No, its not the model year either.

My car was the first model and when I buy, I choose the clearview pack, there was a problem with providers of xenon headlamps, all models did not get mashed with xenon headlights but with the rest of the package ( headlight washers , automatic lights, etc ).
I have the washers.

You have the modification of Drews Garage Kugaman??
19-03-2015 12:26pm