Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UK Government to consult on speed limits
GibEvoque

RE: UK Government to consult on speed limits

I do alot of driving in spain, and trust me the standards fall far far short of that in the UK, indicators non existent, land discipline extremely poor, tailgating (with flashing lights and horn beeping) seems to be the norm even in traffic where you can't move back to the inside lane! They have no idea about on-ramps, or roundabouts Three lanes going into the roundabout, but only 1 or 2 on the actual roundabout. And I can go on.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
03-11-2011 11:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

(03-11-2011 09:49am)mk82 Wrote:  I like it to drive more then 200 kph (up to 250)...
(sorry for my bad english, but have you ever tried to write german? Wink )

Ja, ich schreibe Deutsch gern!

I like to drive fast too and the German autobahns are just excellent, you come round a corner and see an arrow straight motorway disappearing into the distance. Lane discipline is excellent but of course you have to moderate your speed when the road is congested.

Apropos of nothing, this is about as fast as I am prepared to drive (on the nearly empty A71 which heads southwest from Leipzig) while trying to balance a camera on the steering wheel... close to 140 mph. Si4 users can weep, 24.4 mpg from the masters of Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.

[Image: 5fjlfo.jpg]

It will be a sad day if there is a compulsory speed limit introduced across Germany.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
03-11-2011 12:29pm
mk82

A lot of drivers think that it is just easy, allthough they have never drive such speed, because of living in countries having a speed limit.

My maximum speed has been 155 mph / 250 km/h, just because of a regulated engine Very Happy It is funny, but it is much better to feel speed on a race track, much safer, too. A real pity that the SD4 cannot break magical frontier of 200 km/h Sad

PURE 5dr SD4 Auto, Fuji - Almond/Espresso, rear cam, front-pdc, techp., navi, seatheating, xenon package without xenon

STUUUUNNNNNNNIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!! Thud
03-11-2011 12:48pm
Pricy147

(29-09-2011 09:05pm)mark_n Wrote:  I regularly go to Germany and drive at 160 mph when the conditions are right. It's fine. At other times, I have some idiot in an Audi behind me trying to prove a point. I just let him pass.

***cough*** LaughingLaughingLaughing

Anyway....I echo the comments about lane hoggers - nothing more ennoying and dangerous than sitting in the overtaking lanes when no need.

I have personally have little respect for speed limits - and not just because I drive an Audi Wink I appreciate limits need to be there to ensure general safety - but there are several things that take the pi$$;

- 70MPH limits on motorways - totally agree with the 80MPH introduction.
- Static speed camera's - GATSOs, etc - these are purely a distraction - instead of concentrating on the road - you are looking at the speedo - more of a danger imo. Much better to have 'reasonable' safety guards such as ramps, narrow sections, give ways, etc. So long as they arent suspension breaking like some!
- 60MPH limits on single lane country roads with hair pin turns. I dare our formula one drivers to drive even three quartes of that speed on some of the roads near me, without carriering into a hedge or oncoming car. Yes 60MPH is a maximum - but indicating its even safe to do so takes the pi$$.

Totally agree with 20mph outside schools, hospitals, etc.

Personally I drive to the conditions of the road, and use common sense. Whether that be 30mph above or below the speed limit.

PS. My Evoque as arrived, and its being picked up tomorrow morning WOOHOO Very Happy

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
03-11-2011 03:53pm
ant

Hey Pricy, I'm often around Swansea in my Firenze Prestige, so keep a look out and wave - I'll do the same.
ANTLaughingLaughingLaughing

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
03-11-2011 09:35pm
Pricy147

(03-11-2011 09:35pm)ant Wrote:  Hey Pricy, I'm often around Swansea in my Firenze Prestige, so keep a look out and wave - I'll do the same.
ANTLaughingLaughingLaughing

LOL will do - picked it up yesterday, so mostly been around Swansea, Mumbles and Gower. Its the mrs's car anyway, and she is from Llanelli - so you might even see it about there!!!

Current Cars:

- TTRS Roadster | Phantom Black | Aluminium Pack | Bose | Ipod Dock | 19" Titanium Grey Alloys | Through Load Facility
- Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Firenze Red | Panoramic Roof | Towbar | Satin Brushed Centre Console

[Image: 4fasq.jpg]
05-11-2011 08:17pm