Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tyre Pressure Monitor Sensors - Snow Tyres
nippynorman

Tyre Pressure Monitor Sensors - Snow Tyres

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help

My 2016 Evoque canoe with 20 inch wheels with TPMS fitted but we were also given a set of 17 inch Evoque wheels with M+S tyres fitted. These wheels do not have tpms monitors.

We plan to go to Switzerland and wondered if we could fit the 17 inch wheels? I know the computer will register a fault but can I ignore it and will it cause damage to the system?

Thanks

Norman
08-01-2018 10:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Tyre Pressure Monitor Sensors - Snow Tyres

I can’t see how it would damage the system in any way, it’ll just give a bloody annoying permanent warning.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
09-01-2018 09:14am
recordman

You might want to check if the 'M+S' tyres on the 17" wheels are going to perform better in snow than the tyres currently fitted to your 20" wheels.

'M+S' tyres aren't the same as Winter or Cold Weather tyres and if you're anticipating serious ice and snow then I would consider having a set of proper winter tyres fitted to the 17" wheels.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
09-01-2018 10:04am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you are a regular visitor to the ski areas of Europe then here is a suggestion - take the tyres off the 17” wheels and sell them here or on eBay, use the proceeds to buy a set of TPMS sensors ( make sure you get the right ones as there are two systems, pre 2014MY and post 2014MY have different systems) and put the balance toward a set of Ice and Snow tyres - which are also now available up to 20” size. I ran both my Evoques on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tyres in the UK in winter but do make sure you swap back to summer rated tyres when the air temperature is steadily above 7-10c otherwise the Snow and Ice tyres softer compound will cause them to wear out sooner. I also found that the Ice and Snow tyres worked better than summer tyres on wet motorways with lots of standing water.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 10:27am by XFullFatTim.)
09-01-2018 10:22am
prestigetd4

Do your M+S tyres also have the snowflake symbol? If they do then they will be proper winter tyres having a different rubber composition to summer tyres.
09-01-2018 07:46pm
nippynorman

Thanks for the advice guys - the M+S tyres are Goodyear Wranglers : no mountain and snowflake. My current tyres are Continental Cross Contact. I have no idea how they compare with the Goodyears that were fitted. - I wanted to change simply because it says on the AA site that they were a legal requirement in Germany. Budget is a consideration.

I also have to buy snow chains for Switzerland. - I was considering the Konig K56-Summit XL or Weissenfel F51- if anyone has any advice it would also be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

Norman
09-01-2018 08:23pm
prestigetd4

Have Nokian winter tyres on 19 inch rims. They haven't seen much snow in Munich in the 4 winters they've been on though. Probably go for the Goodyear ultragrip next time. Have Thule snow chains (unused!).
09-01-2018 09:38pm