Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Car won't lock!
Donny Dog

Car won't lock!

I know this has been dealt with on the forum before, but I can't find the reference by searching.

The car is failing to recogniise both keys, and will neither start or lock/unlock without (a) using the key in the passenger door and (b) following the procedure of placing the key under the steering wheel, and holding the start button, with foot off brake, until the key is recognised. However, having done all that, it fails to start next time and also still won't lock other than manually (after repeated attempts). This is my wife's car, and she can't cope easily with this performance, so we have to find a solution.

Is there some sort of re-set procedure to get back to normal?
15-06-2012 07:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Car won't lock!

Without anything more constructive to suggest.... "Dealer" springs to mind. Sad sorry!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
15-06-2012 08:01pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

If this was only happening with one of the fobs, I would say it's a dead/faulty battery with in the fob. But as both fobs are not working, a trip to your dealers is needed I feel.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
15-06-2012 09:26pm
Donny Dog

(15-06-2012 09:26pm)doug Wrote:  If this was only happening with one of the fobs, I would say it's a dead/faulty battery with in the fob. But as both fobs are not working, a trip to your dealers is needed I feel.

I thought I'd read somewhere that there was a way of re-setting the car (maybe disconnecting the battery), but I've now found some more information on the evoqueownwesclub.co.uk forum and it looks like the key recognition module will have to be replaced.
15-06-2012 10:40pm
doug

Donny Dog,
Once you've unlocked & started your Evoque manually at home, will it than work else wear ? There could be something blocking the RF signal.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
16-06-2012 10:15am
Donny Dog

(16-06-2012 10:15am)doug Wrote:  Donny Dog,
Once you've unlocked & started your Evoque manually at home, will it than work else wear ? There could be something blocking the RF signal.

The problem is the same everywhere (and bear in mind it's also keyless so I'm actually touching the car to unlock it).

However, due to my dealer not being able to give me an early appointment to look at the car, I've taken the pro-active route and appear (at least temporarily) to have resolved it. Whilst considering disconnecting the battery to attempt a 'hard re-set', I reasoned that I could achieve the same objective more simply by removing the relevant fuses. These are Fuse 1 and Fuse 17 behind the glove box (not easy to access!). Fuse 1 includes 'smart key receiver' and Fuse 17 is 'keyless entry control module'. After waiting a couple of minutes and then replacing them, remote locking/unlocking was restored immediately. Keyless unlocking and starting the engine still didn't work. However, after a few cycles of starting the engine using the 'key under steering wheel' method and locking the car with the remote button, keyless functions have now also resumed. Bingo! (How long it will last is another matter!!)

Thanks for everyone's help, anyway. I hope the above solution helps somebody else along the way. (Tip: For those not familiar with fuse removal, there is a red plastic fuse removal tool clipped into the fuse box panel towards the top, without which you will struggle).
16-06-2012 10:35am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I have read your other thread about this, but your dealer is in some respects right, call LRA and get the car trailered into the dealership. If they cannot fix it you will get a rental car and as it was technically a breakdown the dealer has more pressure from LR on him to fix it ASAP. At least that way at least your wife won't be left without a car, of course she might get a Kia, but LRA/ Enterprise are supposed to lend a Land Rover product

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-06-2012 12:14pm
3V0QU3

Donny dog, you saved me a stressful new year with your reboot via fuses. Thank you so much, I thought I was going to have a very expensive start to the new year.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
28-12-2017 05:18pm