Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Typical Tow Bar Questions
Evoque_friends

Typical Tow Bar Questions

Hi,

Sorry if this has been laboured, but I am struggling to find the answers to what is hopefully a few basic questions. I have the limited edition Evoque in Santorinin yellow (63 plate) and need to fit a tow bar. I've decided I am going to fit the fixed height swan neck as if the elecs will be on display, the whole thing might aswell be. I've also decided to go for the genuine Land Rover ones, but can't find an answer to the right part number. I think it's VPLVT0065. Can anyone confirm this? Also how big and ugly is it once actually installed. I can't find any pics of any on here, even on the guide.

How does having a tow bar affect resale value when trading in? I own the car now, but am thinking of swapping it in the next year.

Thank you in advance
06-09-2016 08:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mighTTy-RRE

RE: Typical Tow Bar Questions

From what I have seen of the official LR bar it is the Thule bar which in my opinion is plane fugly, with a massive cut out in the rear diffuser.

I fitted a Westfalia bar which is totally concealed as is, I believe, a number of other bars including Witter and Towtrust. Make sure the genuine LR wiring harness adapter is used for the electrics.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-TOWBAR-GU...7#pid97707

As for any depreciation, with a hidden bar, what tow bar?
06-09-2016 06:16pm
MrNoo

(06-09-2016 08:58am)Evoque_friends Wrote:  Hi,

Sorry if this has been laboured, but I am struggling to find the answers to what is hopefully a few basic questions. I have the limited edition Evoque in Santorinin yellow (63 plate) and need to fit a tow bar. I've decided I am going to fit the fixed height swan neck as if the elecs will be on display, the whole thing might aswell be. I've also decided to go for the genuine Land Rover ones, but can't find an answer to the right part number. I think it's VPLVT0065. Can anyone confirm this? Also how big and ugly is it once actually installed. I can't find any pics of any on here, even on the guide.

How does having a tow bar affect resale value when trading in? I own the car now, but am thinking of swapping it in the next year.

Thank you in advance
In my experience when I've come to sell my previous Land Rovers - (a mixture of both Discoverys and Freelanders) and I'm now on my 6th consecutive Land Rover - the fact they've had a tow bar on has made no difference to the trade value. I was once asked what I'd towed with it and when I told them and it was clearly within the towing limits it was not an issue.
If it really bothers you you could always remove it before selling - there does seem to be a lively market for second hand Land Rover tow bars and genuine electrics.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
06-09-2016 07:11pm
Evoque_friends

Thank You! Mighty....where did you get the tow bar from? And how much was it roughly? I'll look now. My fitter is charging £120 +VAT so I'm supplying my own. It looks great too! Do I need to get anything for the elecs to be mounted on? I was going to buy the genuine elecs as I've heard it can cause havoc with the rear view camera and parking sensors
06-09-2016 07:42pm
mighTTy-RRE

(06-09-2016 07:42pm)Evoque_friends Wrote:  Thank You! Mighty....where did you get the tow bar from? And how much was it roughly? I'll look now. My fitter is charging £120 +VAT so I'm supplying my own. It looks great too! Do I need to get anything for the elecs to be mounted on? I was going to buy the genuine elecs as I've heard it can cause havoc with the rear view camera and parking sensors
I got mine fitted by a company near Portsmouth and paid from memory about £525 fully fitted, a friend fitted his own and had problem with the rear camera afterwards, which is why I went to a professional
06-09-2016 08:24pm