Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have LR improved the speed of the coupe's front seats?
flurberman

Have LR improved the speed of the coupe's front seats?

Soon after launch there was much talk about the speed of the coupe's electric front seats being too slow. Has LR addressed this in recent cars or is it still the same? Expecting my car soon so am curious. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Orkney Grey, Si4 Dynamic Coupe with LUX pack, privacy glass, 20" shadow chrome wheels, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, TPMS & contrast panoramic roof.
25-03-2012 08:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarcastrix

RE: Have LR improved the speed of the coupe's front seats?

It's certainly been talked about but not seen any proof. Perhaps we need a face off between an early and a late car Smile

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
25-03-2012 09:15am
Land Rover Techy

(25-03-2012 09:15am)Sarcastrix Wrote:  It's certainly been talked about but not seen any proof. Perhaps we need a face off between an early and a late car Smile

I think currently it is the same but i would imagine that when they do come up with a solution, it would be released as a software change into the relevant modules in the car. I think they are focusing on 2013 and LR405 but i know they are looking at the concern.
25-03-2012 12:59pm
mark_n

I doubt it's fixable in software.

The same motor used to provide fore-aft adjustment is used to slide the seat forwards for rear access. That motor and the gearing has to be powerful enough to work with the weight of someone sitting in it and will typically use a worm drive which, for those of you who played with Meccano will know, provides a strong driving force but at the expense of speed.

The electrical connection to the seat motor will simply connect it to 12v to run one way or the other until a limit switch or sensor is tripped and there will not be any means of speeding up the motor. Further, the seat memory function will be used to know when to stop the motor when moving the seat back into position which is why there is the seat memory function in the passenger seat in variants of the coupe where there is not in the corresponding 5 door.

The seat back rest lever disengages the back rest which allows it to fold forwards freely and it would be possible to disengage the seat squab from the drive and push it forwards manually. Not easy, because you would need to bend down to push it (think of adjusting a non electric seat from outside the car) and there is still the question of returning it to a preset position.

In theory, they could use a two speed gearbox and sense the presence of the passenger to engage the higher speed for rear access but it's big engineering changes to the seat, more weight and cost.

The best they could do would be to fit a beefier motor and change the pitch of the worm drive to speed it up a bit. But that ain't just a software change and I doubt it would be a free of charge retrofit.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 05:27am by mark_n.)
26-03-2012 03:04am