Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Traction (?) Fault
Bill

Traction (?) Fault

I have a TD4 Dynamic (MY 2015) with manual gearbox and both my wife and I have experienced intermittant traction (?) problems. It usually occurs whilst driving along at a steady speed and can best be described as either loosing traction on one or two wheels or as if there's 'lumpy' fuel. It has happened in a variety of instances (accelerating, decelerating, changing gear, steady driving, straight or turning corners), but no the same all the time and only for a second or two. I thought I may have been imagining it until my wife experienced the same. I've mentioned it to my dealer but he has found nothing (always difficult with an intemittent fault) but no error messages or software issues found.
Anyone experienced similar problems with a manual box? Would like to get this resolved before warranty expires.
Cheers

Now with Dynamic TD4, 5 door, Kaikora Stone, manual, tech & comfort packs
20-07-2017 08:37am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Traction (?) Fault

As I guess you cannot actually be losing traction if running at a steady speed (unless hitting ice!) and if it's not happening in a corner the most likely suspect has to be the Haldex unit slipping giving you the feeling the rear wheels are no longer driving. If it's happening in a corner it could be the rear diff or transfer box. Certainly worth persevering while under warranty though, make sure the fault is logged with the dealer and customer services too, so if you get no resolution you can at least show the fault was happening while under warranty.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-07-2017 01:01pm
Bill

(20-07-2017 01:01pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  As I guess you cannot actually be losing traction if running at a steady speed (unless hitting ice!) and if it's not happening in a corner the most likely suspect has to be the Haldex unit slipping giving you the feeling the rear wheels are no longer driving. If it's happening in a corner it could be the rear diff or transfer box. Certainly worth persevering while under warranty though, make sure the fault is logged with the dealer and customer services too, so if you get no resolution you can at least show the fault was happening while under warranty.

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in assuming that that most of the time only the front wheels are driving? If that's the case would that mean it would not necessarily be the Haldex unit?

Now with Dynamic TD4, 5 door, Kaikora Stone, manual, tech & comfort packs
21-07-2017 08:45am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Evoque sends 95% of the power to the front wheels and 5% to the rears all the time in normal driving, if slippage is detected in the rears then the amount of power can be varied up to 95% to the rear wheels or in whatever proportion the coupling 'decides' to do it as it locks up.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-07-2017 09:05am
Andy131

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Haldex disconnected the drive from the rear wheels above a set speed (18mph on the FL2) but re-engaged almost instantly if it detected wheel slip/spin.

If that is the case then there could be a couple of failure modes
If the Haldex is disconnected and you have a front drive shaft with a worn spline (likely to be the RH side) then the spline loosing drive would loose drive to both front wheels. been there done that on the FL2
OR
The Haldex could be engaging randomly at speed, this would possibly give a little tug as power was applied , then removed from the rear wheels - been seen on some FL2's

Again apologise but I am relatively new to the Evoque (6k miles so far), but have put a lot of miles under the tyres of various Freelanders
24-07-2017 01:07pm
PhilSkill

Haldex provides 10-15% of power to rear in normal driving conditions, Active Driveline on the newer models will remove all rear drive.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
24-07-2017 04:55pm
Andy131

Cheers Phil

So "Active driveline" is new to the Evoque - but old hat to the FL2 Very Happy

I am sure it's a lot more than that in real life, LR have had over 10 years since the first FL2 to hone the Haldex software, and the Haldex system has gone through a couple of revisions since first used by LR.
24-07-2017 05:30pm
PhilSkill

I think it's the 5th Gen Haldex on Newer Evoques, and 4th on Older.

I also be surprised if there's anything different Freelander to Evoque certainly in early spec Evoques. Active Driveline is a cost option and quite a new development for LR.

24-07-2017 05:46pm