Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tracker installation
blimbug

Tracker installation

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2013 SD4 Evoque (for the wife), to go with my existing Defender 110.

Anyway, insurance have stipulated that I need a tracker fitted, and given I'd previously installed one in my Defender, I thought I'd have a go at installing it myself in the Evoque, however the Defender's electrics are 100 x more simple than the Evoque!

I'm planning on installing the tracker in the rear nearside fuse area, problem being I'm struggling to find a permanent live and earth...

I "think" i've got a permanent live by piggybacking off the electric parking handbrake fuse (I'm presuming it must be permanent - failing that the radio/parking sensor appears to be permanent - at least for 5 minutes after locking the car).

I'm having trouble finding an earth point though... I think I can take one off the accessory point (cigarette lighter), but I'm not sure which is the earth wire.

Black & Green (which I think is correct) or Yellow brown.

Alternatively, if anyone has found a simpler way to get a permanent live / earth in the rear, please let me know! I can see the tow electrics under the rear wing, but it looks a real pain to get to...

Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-11-2016 11:11am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigmac3161

Tracker installation

Switch ur insurance company if mine stolen I don't want it back I want a new one.
06-11-2016 12:20pm
blimbug

RE: Tracker installation

(06-11-2016 12:20pm)bigmac3161 Wrote:  Switch ur insurance company if mine stolen I don't want it back I want a new one.

I'll cross that bridge if I ever came to it - but trackers are so cheap nowadays (<£40) so it also gives a little piece of mind for a little outlay.
06-11-2016 12:29pm
Steve D

I think it probably has to be an approved tracker and not a DIY installed one.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2016 02:36pm by Steve D.)
06-11-2016 02:36pm
sasdiscos

Has to be approved, and they seem so expensive compared to when i had one in my escos.

Ill sell the car if i can't insure it come renewal.

Steve
06-11-2016 04:42pm
Steve D

I'm with LV. Pano roof covered under the glass protection - not bodywork - £140 excess and no tracker requirement.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
06-11-2016 05:02pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Steer clear of Direct Line as they only approve one make of tracker...................... and they own the company that makes it..............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2016 06:56pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-11-2016 06:55pm
harry2012

I found the same with Direct Line.

So instead I went to LV, no tracker requirement and £100 cheaper!

Although with the LR Connect App, my MY14 car tells me where it is, etc, surely technically it has a tracker fitted as standard or am I missing something?
08-11-2016 12:36am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Harry your car will have been specced with what LR used to call In Control Remote and/or In Control Secure if you have the phone app. It is a Thatcham 6 system IIRC and yes it has a tracker built in otherwise your app wouldn't work. However, and it is a big HOWEVER there are some companies that don't think it is secure enough! The In Control system uses a very sophisticated system utilising virtually every ECU in the car as well as some other bits of tech fitted to most cars these days - their aim was to make it really hard to replace any single part of the tracker system because with today's canbus systems it a component in the car is changed for something else then the new component has to be electronically integrated into the system with the correct address....... unfortunately LR then left the OBDP exposed and vulnerable so low-lifes who wanted to steal your car could access the entire system through the vulnerable port. In later cars this issue has been addressed, which hasn't helped existing cars!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-11-2016 09:12pm
syl

InControl Secure is separate to InControl Remote.

InControl Secure will automatically alert the tracking company if the car is moved without the key (eg towed or loaded onto a trailer). This is a Thatcham category 6 device.

InControl Remote will allow you to locate your car, but it is not a Thatcham approved tracking device.

MY17 RR Evoque TD4 Autobiography
MY17 RRS SDV6 Autobiography
08-11-2016 10:06pm