Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Towbar Choice
smayo

RE: Towbar Choice

(06-07-2012 09:20pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Attached is what I use it for!

And you would have thought the Evoques wing mirrors would have been large enough to see in rear of a towed caravan. Laughing

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
06-07-2012 09:35pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

They are very good mirrors, but my caravan is 2.50m wide. I would imagine that with a 2.30m wide caravan you may not need additional mirrors. I also found out when fitting the mirrors that the black trim on the mirror side of the housing is a differant shape each side (was trying to figure out where i was going wrong as I couldn't get the passenger one to fit by just reversing the setting used on the drivers side straps). Now I bet you didn't know that!
(06-07-2012 09:28pm)Deaky Wrote:  The most difficult bit of the installation was getting the fuses in Laughing I dropped one and it fell down under the carpet. I took off the fuse cover in the foot well, lifted all the carpet and retrieved it. Only to find there was already a fuse in the slot Surprised

+1

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 08:01am by BFGEvoqueMan.)
07-07-2012 08:00am
gog

I usually only lurk on forums but felt I had to report on the Westfalia detachable towbar fitted today.

Decided to have a go myself after some of the prices I had been quoted and glad I did especially after going for the extremely well fitting and designed Westfalia.
Very little to add to BFGEvoqueMan excellent guide to fixing his Witter towbar, once the bumper is off the job is straight forward. I found a hand grinder ideal for cutting the heat shield and like others used a stanley knife to cut the rest.
I also more or less fitted the bumper back on before cutting any of the external skin, glad I did because it only needed a very small cut for the towbar housing which only sticks out below the bumber by about 5 to 6mm, bent the socket bracket back a touch to avoid any cut this then goes up on a swinging arm.

If anyone is interested in seeing the end result I could attempt to post some photos but limited computer skills, I will ask the kids for help!
13-07-2012 09:04pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(13-07-2012 09:04pm)gog Wrote:  I usually only lurk on forums but felt I had to report on the Westfalia detachable towbar fitted today.

Decided to have a go myself after some of the prices I had been quoted and glad I did especially after going for the extremely well fitting and designed Westfalia.
Very little to add to BFGEvoqueMan excellent guide to fixing his Witter towbar, once the bumper is off the job is straight forward. I found a hand grinder ideal for cutting the heat shield and like others used a stanley knife to cut the rest.
I also more or less fitted the bumper back on before cutting any of the external skin, glad I did because it only needed a very small cut for the towbar housing which only sticks out below the bumber by about 5 to 6mm, bent the socket bracket back a touch to avoid any cut this then goes up on a swinging arm.

If anyone is interested in seeing the end result I could attempt to post some photos but limited computer skills, I will ask the kids for help!

Glad my guide was useful to you. It would be good if you could post some photos for comparison as clearly the LR bar is a bit naff when it comes to being invisible. Also how much did it cost, from where etc. Also what are the weight limits for the bar?

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
14-07-2012 08:59am
gog

[Image: towbar004.jpg]

[Image: towbar005.jpg]
[Image: towbar002.jpg]
[Image: towbar003.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2012 02:37pm by gog.)
15-07-2012 02:34pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Very nice. On a scale of 1 to 10, definately 10 out of 10Thumbs Up

15-07-2012 03:04pm
gog

The best prices I found were pfjones.co.uk and towbarsdirect.co.uk at £315.00 inc VAT,delivery and dedicated 7 pin electrics which simply connected to existing block behind rear bumber.

Towing weight 1800kg
Nose weight 100kg
15-07-2012 03:13pm
Kimv

(15-07-2012 03:13pm)gog Wrote:  The best prices I found were pfjones.co.uk and towbarsdirect.co.uk at £315.00 inc VAT,delivery and dedicated 7 pin electrics which simply connected to existing block behind rear bumber.

Towing weight 1800kg
Nose weight 100kg

I'll be looking into this one as well. Could you please tell me which model you took?

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
16-07-2012 12:24pm
gog

(16-07-2012 12:24pm)Kimv Wrote:  I'll be looking into this one as well. Could you please tell me which model you took?

The code on the invoice is 323102
16-07-2012 05:11pm
Ken S.

(15-07-2012 03:13pm)gog Wrote:  The best prices I found were pfjones.co.uk and towbarsdirect.co.uk at £315.00 inc VAT,delivery and dedicated 7 pin electrics which simply connected to existing block behind rear bumber.

Towing weight 1800kg
Nose weight 100kg

Thanks very much Gog, I was almost 90% certain I was going to have a Westfalia, now I'm 100% certain. I've got a Westfalia on my BMW at present and it's superb. I purchased that from PF Jones and can recommend them too! Nice to see your photos, it looks much better than that abomination LR can supply.
16-07-2012 06:07pm