Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Towbar Choice
Ken S.

Towbar Choice

Anyone got a towbar fitted that is not a genuine L.R. item. The genuine one appears awful when the neck is detached, with its sockets still visible and the cost!!! I've been looking at a Westfalia detachable, anyone got one of these fitted, if so some pictures would be nice. Thanks. Ken S.
06-07-2012 01:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deaky

RE: Towbar Choice

I fitted a whitter last weekend Ken. Very pleased with the results. The electrics swing up behind the bumper and the socket for the tow ball neck is pretty unobtrusive. I'll post some pics later. Tongue Out
06-07-2012 03:15pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(06-07-2012 01:21pm)Ken S. Wrote:  Anyone got a towbar fitted that is not a genuine L.R. item. The genuine one appears awful when the neck is detached, with its sockets still visible and the cost!!! I've been looking at a Westfalia detachable, anyone got one of these fitted, if so some pictures would be nice. Thanks. Ken S.

Look at either of these two threads:

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-All-modif...w-complete (1st Thread and open the attachments)
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Updated-T...structions (1st Thread and open the attachment).

Witter limits are 1800kg + 125kg noseweight

PM if you need more helpVery Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 04:30pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
06-07-2012 04:29pm
Ken S.

(06-07-2012 03:15pm)Deaky Wrote:  I fitted a whitter last weekend Ken. Very pleased with the results. The electrics swing up behind the bumper and the socket for the tow ball neck is pretty unobtrusive. I'll post some pics later. Tongue Out

Thanks for the quick reply, I look forward to your photos. (don't get my car till Sept).

(06-07-2012 04:29pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Look at either of these two threads:

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-All-modif...w-complete (1st Thread and open the attachments)
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Updated-T...structions (1st Thread and open the attachment).

Witter limits are 1800kg + 125kg noseweight

PM if you need more helpVery Happy

Thanks very much, your car looks awsome, like the black grille etc.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 06:02pm by Ken S..)
06-07-2012 06:00pm
Deaky

Here's some pics of the bar, excuse the state of the car Embarrassed I've got some hammerite to paint the bolts black when it stops raining Rolling Eyes

[Image: IMG_1413.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1415.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1417.JPG]
06-07-2012 07:23pm
Kimv

Towbar Choice

(06-07-2012 07:23pm)Deaky Wrote:  Here's some pics of the bar, excuse the state of the car Embarrassed I've got some hammerite to paint the bolts black when it stops raining Rolling Eyes

[Image: IMG_1413.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1415.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1417.JPG]

That seems to be exactly what I want! Which model is it?

The problem is that:

A) the dealers I visited do not want to install a non-LR tow bar...
B) apparently the LR tow bar is compatible with the rear sensors and tow assist, whereas the non-LR isn't. At least this is what the unwilling dealers told me...

So my questions are:

1) is it compatible?
2) does is affect warranty?
3) did you have to cut? If so, a lot?

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 07:52pm by Kimv.)
06-07-2012 07:42pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(06-07-2012 07:42pm)Kimv Wrote:  The problem is that:

A) the dealers I visited do not want to install a non-LR tow bar...It is a relatively straight forward job if you are half way mechanically minded (see my guide refered to in thread 3 of this topic)

B) apparently the LR tow bar is compatible with the rear sensors and tow assist, whereas the non-LR isn't.

Its been a while since I studied french, but something to do with vache and meldre??

At least this is what the unwilling dealers told me...

So my questions are:

1) is it compatible? [i]Yes, most definately.

2) does is affect warranty? No as the towbar is "E" Approved. The only part that might be a legitimate warranty issue is the electric set. I bought mine in the "Jaeger" box and it cost €60. The LR part in the LR box (but made by you guessed it Jaeger) is about £150. Note the electrics are literally plug and play and no dealer coding is required.

3) did you have to cut? If so, a lot? I cut about 15mm vertically and abot 60mma cross, but it is pretty invisible. Appears that on Deaky's Dynamic no cut is required. I know that it you put the fixed witter bar (swan neck or flange) then no cuut is required on Pure/Prestige as the cut is only made to accommodate the receiver "box".

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
06-07-2012 08:05pm
Deaky

I installed this bar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140626438886#ht_1755wt_1153

And these electrics http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140654582635#ht_1431wt_1147

The same bar as recommended by BFGEvoqueMan and I followed his instructions. Aside from the trim around the wheel arches Having a couple more clips and having to do some major butchering of the heat shield, the instructions were spot on Smile

I had to cut the bumper, about 90mm wide x 20mm to 30mm high in the centre. The bumper is easy to cut with a Stanley knife. I just kept shaving a bit off at a time and re offering the bumper up till it fitted. Part of he reason it took about 4 hours to do. Really pleased with the result.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 09:21pm by Deaky.)
06-07-2012 09:12pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Deaky,

Thanks for the endorsement of my instructions. I must have missed off the bit about cutting the heat shield as I to had to get the snips out aswell!

Good advice about "nibbling" away the bumnper cut until you get it where YOU want. "Little and Often" as my woodwork teacher in school used to say!

You bought from the same place as me, but sadly the electrics are the same kit only (Jaeger) having come from Gemany seem to have gone from €58 (about £50 at the time but now less) (from Bertelshofer.com) and doubled to £95! Still 1/2 the LR price!

Attached is what I use it for!

Attached File(s)
.docx  BabyRR pics - caravan.docx (Size: 125.87 KB / Downloads: 40)

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 09:26pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
06-07-2012 09:20pm
Deaky

The most difficult bit of the installation was getting the fuses in Laughing I dropped one and it fell down under the carpet. I took off the fuse cover in the foot well, lifted all the carpet and retrieved it. Only to find there was already a fuse in the slot Surprised

There is something very satisfying seeing the little green trailer light up on the dash when indicating with the bike rack on Cool
06-07-2012 09:28pm