Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time to say goodbye to Range Rover
Steve D

RE: Time to say goodbye to Range Rover

(06-04-2016 09:42pm)Good shot Wrote:  Thanks Steve D. Seems like I'm going to give it a serious test drive. I need the big boot. Any other comparisons with the Evoque? Doesn't sound as though you were too impressed. They look a bit dowdy inside compared to the Evoque.
I found it underpowered and very 'cheap' looking inside with a tiny satnav and plenty of plastic and this was the HSE model (which I now understand is middle of the range). My wife is the main driver of our Evoque and loves the way our one drives but thinks it is too 'flashy' so our next car in a few years time will probably be a DS but it'd have to be a HSE Lux model or above and in the right colour. I'd also go for an early one with the 2.2 engine - the 2.0 one we had seemed to struggle with just two of us in it - I dread to think how they would perform when fully loaded and towing a caravan.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2016 07:00am by Steve D.)
07-04-2016 06:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Good shot

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd not thought of it being underpowered but will give it a good test. Yes I was thinking on the hse lux to get that bit of Evoque quality in to it. That's starting to look at £43k +. Quite a lot more than I paid for the Evoque Prestige. RRS looking potentially more attractive.

I'm going for a Santorini Black with privacy glass - full bandit. Is Santorini the best black - I guess it's got a bit of sparkle in it?

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
07-04-2016 01:44pm
Steve D

I'm not a lover of the 'black pack' but only last weekend I saw a black DS with the 'black pack' and it did look nice!

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
07-04-2016 03:41pm
Gjh0702

(06-04-2016 07:47pm)Good shot Wrote:  Funny old game. I've had zero problems and highly competent and helpful stealers. My only complaint in 3 years is small boot space so I think I'll not be having another Evoque and am trying to reconcile the £25k gap between a top line Disco Sport and a bottom line RRS. Think it will probably be the Disco Sport in Santorini Black with privacy glass. My one reservation is that I really like the comfort of the Evoque seats and the Disco Sport will take a bit of research. Any experience of Disco Sport seat comfort / ride features will be welcome.

Picked up DS HSE last week - now 400 miles- ride much better than my Evoque - seat good albeit I miss the memory function and wish I could bottom of seat upwards more.
First impressions 'better' than Evoque

Prestige 5 door ,my 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, 20in Alloy style 7
07-04-2016 06:07pm
Good shot

(07-04-2016 03:41pm)Steve D Wrote:  I'm not a lover of the 'black pack' but only last weekend I saw a black DS with the 'black pack' and it did look nice!

Me neither - re black pack. I was thinking Santorini Black + privacy glass + chrome wheels.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
07-04-2016 09:10pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

CSJ, now the F Pace is out in the real world maybe you should have a test drive in one....... Autocar mag has a 1st test of the supercharged V6 petrol engined version and reckon it is somewhat better than all of the competition.................. And is a going to be a huge worry for Porsche and the Macan in particular as the F Pace was developed with one always trailing it. RRS2 is a fantastic car and totally different to the Evoque, could have been built by a different company. Problem with RRS is that it will soon be priced out of the market if LR keep going as they are with price rises, prices are ludicrously expensive.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2016 10:22pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-04-2016 10:17pm
CSJ

(07-04-2016 10:17pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  CSJ, now the F Pace is out in the real world maybe you should have a test drive in one....... Autocar mag has a 1st test of the supercharged V6 petrol engined version and reckon it is somewhat better than all of the competition.................. And is a going to be a huge worry for Porsche and the Macan in particular as the F Pace was developed with one always trailing it. RRS2 is a fantastic car and totally different to the Evoque, could have been built by a different company. Problem with RRS is that it will soon be priced out of the market if LR keep going as they are with price rises, prices are ludicrously expensive.

Thanks Tim - really good thoughts and echo much of what I have been thinking.

The Fpace will certainly give the competition a run for their money, and its a car I have considered. For me there are a few issues with it though. I am not sure I would want buy another Jaguar/LR product in the first year of its production, there could be reliability issues, build quality issues, and almost certainly no dealer discounts which will later be available. I saw an Fpace on the M40 two weeks ago (presumably a press car from the factory) and I was a little underwhelmed with its appearance from the back end. For me it was a little to long and a bit volvo like in its appearance. It will undoubtedly be a great seller and is more practical than an Evoque or Macan (much larger boot than both) but for me the jury is still out until it has been about for a while. I am going to arrange a test drive and you never know I might change my views completely.

The RRS is just to big for me at the moment and what you say about price is correct, it has become a very expensive car although that does not seem to be denting sales, the numbers of them in London is astonishing, I assume the park assist works well!!Very HappyVery Happy

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
11-04-2016 02:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There's no park assist on my HSE Dynamic but it has excellent peaking sensors and a decent rear view cam, 2016MY has even better high resolution monitor and a washer for the rear cam lense as standard now too. What is really good about the RRS is the shear power and torque that the SDv6 puts out, it never feels that it needs any more oomph at all and the 8 speed ZF gearbox is almost imperceptible with its changes, they are soilky smooth. I'm very pleased with the fuel economy too, matches my last 9 speed Evoque unless I start to play GTi baiting................... The RRS usually wins!

What I find disappointing about the F Pace is a) I think the rear end looks too much like a Macan or Cayenne's and b) having looked inside one some of the switch gear is even lower rent than the Evoque's, obvious penny pinching and also c) you don't seem to get many toys for your money, it seems everything is an optional extra which might be the Porsche and BMW way of doing things but Jags have always had a decent spec. One thing the reviews I have read so far all rave about is the Nav and Audio - streets ahead of anything else on the market and very intuitive BUT every item I have read also asks why Jaguar didn't fit a rotary controller for it like BMW's and Audi's systems have.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-04-2016 02:44pm
The Valeter

I had 2 Evoque's, one an early Si4 Dynamic Lux & the second a Pure Tech with near Prestige spec. Had flat battery issues on the Si4 but IIRC nothing else & I can't remember any issues with the Pure Tech.
Admittedly I didn't have them for long periods of time. Oddly I went back to a Freelander though I didn't sell the Evoque for the FL2, just saw the Metropolis & it was fantastic value. Only issue with that was a clonking from front suspension other than that all good. Just sold the FL2 due to starting a new business & requiring a luxury People Carrier so ordered a new Mercedes V-Class which is the first ever German car I have bought though I have to say the whole process with Mercedes has been a disaster & communication is dreadful.

To the O.P enjoy the Macan but I pity you having to run around in an X6 till then !!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
11-04-2016 10:10pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
window

Problems with the Evoque are now not a problem. Land Rover have taken the car back.

Evoque HSE Dynamic Firenze Red
16-06-2017 11:06am