Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The first scuff is always the toughest. Hoping I'll get over it...!
MrHooky

Re: RE: The first scuff is always the toughest. Hoping I'll get over it...!

(28-04-2012 06:35am)Mudi1 Wrote:  Trolley dents next. Some of us don't have the luxury of another car for the supermarket run. So new options will be:
A) Borrow baby car seat (minus child) or gulp! - disabled badge for the wider parking bays.
B) Start having stuff delivered.
C) Go at midnight - less cars, but still loads.
D) ? Need help with this one.....

I too have this fear. Our last car within a few weeks had an almighty ding, like someone had smacked a golf ball at the door. Now I always drive round a car park until I can find an end space or those spaces that are so far away from the shop that nobody ever parks there!

The one consolation is that the sides of the Evoque are quite high so I think we're less prone to the dings from the doors of lower cars.

Is it wrong that I always check the sides of our cars before driving off if anyone has parked a little bit too close for my liking!?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
28-04-2012 08:28am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: The first scuff is always the toughest. Hoping I'll get over it...!

(28-04-2012 08:28am)MrHooky Wrote:  I too have this fear. Our last car within a few weeks had an almighty ding, like someone had smacked a golf ball at the door. Now I always drive round a car park until I can find an end space or those spaces that are so far away from the shop that nobody ever parks there!

The one consolation is that the sides of the Evoque are quite high so I think we're less prone to the dings from the doors of lower cars.

Is it wrong that I always check the sides of our cars before driving off if anyone has parked a little bit too close for my liking!?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Not wrong, I do the same, and I suspect lots of others do. (Maybe just a tad OCD!:lolSmile.

My SL500 has quite bulging sides with no protection, but has never been dinged, but my wife's RAV4 (as high as an Evoque) had at least 30 assorted chips from careless parking by others when we sold it. We leave my wife's car for weeks at a time (even months) in a marina car park when we go sailing, and that's where we get most of the damage. I've therefore bought some 'Door Defenders'. These are 3" diameter, 2' long, fairly hard foam fabric covered 'bolsters' which have a flat felt surface on one side, and 'stick' to the door using a magnetic strip. They come in pairs (one on each door) connected by a wire, which has a further wire attached which passes inside the door to prevent them being stolen (or at least stolen casually, i.e. without tools). They are sufficiently long when attached to the car to cover the full length between the wheel-arch bulges (which are protected to some extent by the plastic surrounds). They are available in various colours, including black and silver. They are ridiculously expensive for what they are (you're paying for the novelty), but very effective. A full set (both sides of the car) cost £86.
28-04-2012 10:05am
SiT

Feel for you - i watched the good wife reverse into the garge after maybe 4 days of ownership and scrape a wing mirror all down the side..!

Happy days ....
28-04-2012 09:48pm
David Cameron

Stop being so anal OCD, cars are meant for using and by definition, they will get dinks, scrapes and other marks. Annoying maybe, but hardly life threatening! If you want a showroom finish, leave it in the showroom!
29-04-2012 08:06am
MrHooky

(29-04-2012 08:06am)David Cameron Wrote:  Stop being so anal OCD, cars are meant for using and by definition, they will get dinks, scrapes and other marks. Annoying maybe, but hardly life threatening! If you want a showroom finish, leave it in the showroom!

Yes but if you can minimise these then why wouldn't you? After our house the Evoque is our second most expensive possession. We work hard to be able to afford nice things, and personally I want my cars looking as nice as possible so I look after them as best I can.

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
29-04-2012 08:49am
David Cameron

Fair point, but in the real world of three kids, SWMBO, who is less than careful and a small dog that defies all my attempts to palm him off to the nearest rescue centre, things get damaged.

I gave up after I had a French polisher round to cover some scars on a Hulsta lounge unit that was 15k. She wasn't impressed, said furniture was meant to be used and marks was part and parcel of living. Maybe she was in the wrong profession, although she did the job, or maybe I was being a bit OTT about a minuscule mark, so I gave up being upset if things were used or marked.
29-04-2012 10:12am
Coolbanana

(29-04-2012 08:06am)David Cameron Wrote:  Stop being so anal OCD, cars are meant for using and by definition, they will get dinks, scrapes and other marks. Annoying maybe, but hardly life threatening! If you want a showroom finish, leave it in the showroom!

True to an extent DC and my wife thinks more or less like that but I've alway's been very careful with my car's - the only exception being my Discovery which got washed less and I wasn't too fussed with the scrapes it got from off-road adventures.
I guess I'd be even less bothered if I had a Defender; that's what my Dad uses for everyday stuff and keeps his Land Cruiser pristine.

My Evoque gets treated very well, washed regularly by me, parked well away from other vehicles at all times and the kids are careful too - fortunately they are old enough not to cause any damage. I've alway's managed to avoid trolley dings etc at the supermarkets and other shops. My wife is used to me now, she would get frustrated when we first met with my entering a carpark and scouting for the spot I find most suitable, even if it means a bit of a walk. Laughing

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
29-04-2012 10:28am
David Cameron

I used to do that in the Morrisons car park too, but no matter where I parked some Chav would park their Nova as close as they could. At least with the Disco, I could put it in extended mode and had side steps!

Anyway, after having to be grateful when even finding a spot to park at the hospital. I got out of the habit and feel more chilled, of course it doesn't preclude the fact I could loose it if the damage warranted it!
29-04-2012 12:00pm