Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The dreaded 'Restricted Performance'... and other electical gremlins...
ShortbreaD

The dreaded 'Restricted Performance'... and other electical gremlins...

Good afternoon,

Anyone had issues with this warning on recent cars (2014 Pure SD4 Auto)?

The Restricted Performance warning came on in torrential rain, under cruise control at steady secure speed on Mway over a long journey.

Sounds similar to an issue experienced in earlier cars in the US (2012/13), but should be irrelevant (I think?) - Different version of the car, different engine and different engine management...

Main dealer surprisingly didn't find any fault...

To add salt to the wound, I also reported at the time (three weeks ago now!) that the headlamp height adjustment didn't seem to be working.... Guess what? The car is still at the dealer... Took three days to get the headlight module, two days to realise there was nothing wrong with the module and since then trying to work something out with LR headquarters...

According to the dealer, there are a lot of cables in a car you know... Patronising or what?

I was given a courtesy LR vehicle (2013 Freelander) for the last two weeks so patiently waiting for an update from my dealer...

I have to say, I am more bothered about the fact that the 'Restricted Performance' can come back anytime than waiting for the headlight adjustment to be fixed...
26-05-2015 02:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HotLap

RE: The dreaded 'Restricted Performance'... and other electical gremlins...

Hmm, interesting, I had my "Check Engine" light come on after washing the Evoque (just the outside,never lifted the hood) and sometimes if you drive several warm up cycles it will correct itself and go out. After about a week or so it did indeed go out. The other day it rained in SoCal (well light sprinkles anyway) and the Check Engine light came on once again and went out after several cold to hot cycles. I'll get it in one day but no rush.

Good luck and let us know what your dealer finds.

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
26-05-2015 08:22pm
ShortbreaD

Thanks Hotlap!

Will do...

I think I could live with a warning light, but the engine restriction that comes with it is the main problem. No power...

Anyway, it will be another week tomorrow, I am sure I will get a call from my dealer informing me of their latest exchange of emails with LR HQ....
27-05-2015 03:28pm
ShortbreaD

Quick update....

After THREE weeks, my dealer has now been advised by LR Technical to change the headlight motor....

Now, Am I missing something...

If the control module isn't at fault, if the wiring is fine (simple test to be carried out checking power supply), the next step would surely to check the motor????????

Absolutely gutted with the very poor dealer / LR interface.

So, back to the waiting game. Let's see if this works!

Till the next episode...
28-05-2015 10:33am
ShortbreaD

Well, here we go.

Amazing. The headlamps were faulty.

I cannot believe that the dealer / LR didn't check that first. Three weeks ago.

Unbelievable.

On a positive, picking her up tonight...
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2015 02:05pm by ShortbreaD.)
28-05-2015 02:21pm
Clip

What?! The car goes into limp mode because of a faulty headlight motor? Has the car world gone mad? Sheesh!

I hate think what happens when a park light bulb blows. Probably shuts the whole car down and locks all the doors!
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2015 12:29am by Clip.)
30-05-2015 12:26am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Just wait until you get the 9 speed gearbox upgrade done............. mine went into limp home mode in the outside lane of the dual carriageway section of the M74 in November last year and dropped the speed to 30mph from70 in a blink of eye........... nearly had a D4 in the back seat and all the trucks wouldn't let me pull over to the left as they were all doing 60 in the inside lane............... then the DPF sensor was to blame, hence why I am now driving soemthing else. No confidence in my Evoque at all after too many reduced power episodes.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-06-2015 05:33pm
HotLap

(04-06-2015 05:33pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Just wait until you get the 9 speed gearbox upgrade done............. mine went into limp home mode in the outside lane of the dual carriageway section of the M74 in November last year and dropped the speed to 30mph from70 in a blink of eye........... nearly had a D4 in the back seat and all the trucks wouldn't let me pull over to the left as they were all doing 60 in the inside lane............... then the DPF sensor was to blame, hence why I am now driving soemthing else. No confidence in my Evoque at all after too many reduced power episodes.

Tim, that's why I'm not getting the gearbox sw update done, I too have fond out the hard way many times the cure is worse than the cause! They didn't force you into the sw upgrade did they?

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
09-06-2015 09:24pm
Sven

I had the restricted performance problem yesterday. It is really annoying, you are locked into a maximum speed and the gearbox seems locked as well. I could accelerate faster on my bike. One thing that I noticed however was that although it was impossible for me to go above 70 km/h with the accelerator pedal, I could increase the speed with the cruise control on the steering wheel well beyond the limit.

Is that strange or is it strange?

Anyhow, I got to where I needed to go, parked the car and upon after two hours, problem was gone and the car was its perky self again.

Mine is a 2014 SD4.

Cheers

Sven
04-11-2016 10:25am