Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Terrain response settings for launching a boat
Reto

Terrain response settings for launching a boat

What do you think are the best settings to launch a boat out of the water?

I would say "mud" is the best terrain response setting, but i´m not sure.

Would be happy to get same technical information about the terrain response system regarding that topic (torque at lower rev, response off throttle, ....)

Very Happy
....the launch ramps are mostly very wet and steep.

Fuji white, 5dr Pure, TD4, Xenon, PDC, 20", color matched plastic parts
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2012 12:11pm by Reto.)
19-03-2012 12:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Terrain response settings for launching a boat

May be LRE's should add a new test to their routes, slime covered slipways!
I think you should try each setting and see which works best for you. You won't do any damage to the system by using the incorrect one, it will just be easier in one than it is in the other modes.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-03-2012 02:15pm
Reto

Thx for your advice Very Happy

Is there any technical background information about the terrain response system? I only know the marketing text but that dosn´t help so much Sad

19-03-2012 07:47pm
XFullFatTim

Reto. pages 93,94 and 95 give details of the system settings and which should be used when, the suggestion is that Grass, Gravel and Snow might be the setting to use. There is next to no technical info about TR but if you look at the you tube videos there are some there that show what the various functions change, mostly it is a case of remapping the engine, deciding if HDC is needed or if DSC should be disabled

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-03-2012 08:28pm
rchrdleigh

If you go to LRE the instructor should be able to tell you exactly what each TR setting does to the car. LRE have produced a document the explains the various TR response settings in some detail but it is only available to LRE instructors.

Mud & Ruts is often referred to as the 'general offroad program' and would be my first option. If that didn't help then I'd look at Grass Gravel Snow. If I was still having problems I'd probably then look at turning off DSC and repeating Mud & Ruts and then Grass Gravel Snow.
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2012 09:50pm by rchrdleigh.)
19-03-2012 09:47pm
Reto

Thx for your great advices!

Would be great to get this secret document Wink

20-03-2012 06:55am
Barneyridge

Reto, did you try any of these. I have launched the boat heaps of time and never used anything but the standard setting. I find the Auto box and traction is fine at low tide, even though I slid past the car and into the water last time.

By the way the weight of my boat is 925 kg without fuel and gear and trailer is 370 kgs.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2012 12:00pm by Barneyridge.)
21-05-2012 11:58am
Reto

(21-05-2012 11:58am)Barneyridge Wrote:  Reto, did you try any of these. I have launched the boat heaps of time and never used anything but the standard setting. I find the Auto box and traction is fine at low tide, even though I slid past the car and into the water last time.

By the way the weight of my boat is 925 kg without fuel and gear and trailer is 370 kgs.

Today i launched a boat with 2.100 kg (incl trailer). I used the "sand" setting wich seemed to be the best.

BTW I have a Aragon towbar with d-value of 10,49 - i´m allowed to tow 2.150 kg with my evoque in germany Very Happy

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 06:13pm by Reto.)
07-08-2012 06:09pm
Barneyridge

Nice set up. Very similar to my boat, well colour scheme anyway

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
09-08-2012 03:09am
XFullFatTim

As you have a tow bar already could I make a suggestion that I find very useful for me not helping people who get stuck on the local slipway....................... take a look in Google for Nylon Strops and buy yourself a very long one with a test certificate and a sewn in, padded eye on each end. Then if you loose traction trying to pull you boat up a slippery slipway you can move the car up the slipway to an area without slime and then put the strop between the trailer and the car to pull the boat from an area of better traction. On my local beach on a fresh water loch this saves me taking my Defender with a winch and 30m of winch rope onto the beach to recover the odd stuck Audi Quattro with wildly spinning front wheels - they look oddly at me in a disbelieving way, take the strop and try it and it works! I now see several people who I have previously recovered this way on the beach who have purchased their own recovery strop offering the same advice to other boaters with heavy boats being towed by powerful FWD cars

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 09:02am by XFullFatTim.)
10-08-2012 09:01am