Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tax Free Purchase for export
Bill

Tax Free Purchase for export

I'm in a fortunate position of being able to buy a tax-free car for export and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this procedure. I have to place my order with tax-free sales in Gaydon and after the usual delay I pick up my shiny new car from a dealers in London (not sure which one) and drive it home in France. The pick up will coincide with a family holiday in the UK so I will only have a limited time to act if I have any problems. Has anyone any helpful comments as to what I may expect or any similar experiences to share?

Cheers
20-06-2012 11:16am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kimv

RE: Tax Free Purchase for export

I imported mine with the same conditions and also to France. Some tips: get an full french insurance before you pick up the car. They can do this as soon as you have the serial number. I went with GMF and have a full omnium for about 700€/year. Afterwards just give them a call when you have the licence plate number. You'll probably get a temporary licence plate for transit which comes with a limited insurance but it's a big gamble to only go with this with a new car... I bought mine in Belgium but feel free to ask whatever you want to know and I'll try to find you the answer. I'm currently in the stage where the "douane" is looking at all the paperwork. They should normally deliver a certificate and with this I'll have to go to the "préfecture" to get a final and permanent licence plate.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 12:19pm by Kimv.)
20-06-2012 11:39am
Bill

(20-06-2012 11:16am)Bill Wrote:  I'm in a fortunate position of being able to buy a tax-free car for export and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this procedure. I have to place my order with tax-free sales in Gaydon and after the usual delay I pick up my shiny new car from a dealers in London (not sure which one) and drive it home in France. The pick up will coincide with a family holiday in the UK so I will only have a limited time to act if I have any problems. Has anyone any helpful comments as to what I may expect or any similar experiences to share?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Kimv, my main concern that once I pick the car up in London I'll only have a few days in the UK before returning to France. Should there be any problems with the car (assuming it is OK for the road) would it be best to have an arrangement in place with a local dealer to rectify them under warranty?
25-06-2012 12:00pm
Kimv

I didn't need the warranty yet but here's what I did: Before ordering the car in Belgium, I went to the local LR dealer in France to do some test drives. I was very honest to him telling him that I was going to purchase the car in another country than France to be able to benefit from the tax-free import condition but that once I received the car it would be in France and that I'd probably come to them for the maintenance.
Remember that the purchase of the car is not their biggest source of profit. It's mostly the maintenance and follow up where they make the most money or so I have been told.
The warranty itself is issued by LR. So you should be able to have all issues rectified by the dealer of your choice.
I was in the same case, only a few days before returning to France but the dealer in Belgium asked me to come in with the car around 1500km (or less... but before I return to France) for a quick check up.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
25-06-2012 02:36pm