Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tailgate Question ?
griff

RE: Tailgate Question ?

you will find that the tailgate will stop if it hits an obstruction or if you physically stop the gate whilst it is in the process of being lowered. I had to do that last week to stop the dogs tail being caught.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
01-01-2012 02:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
invoke

(01-01-2012 02:02pm)paulus599 Wrote:  Confused: So now you're saying it's bad R&D because they have designed it to prevent such an accident Confused:

well most likely its a bad R&D... on a "risk vs benefit" equation, the current mechanism has more risk than benefit... the door doesn't stop till cause some damage to the obstacle.. and with my above experience, its mind boggling why I cant close the door standing far from the vehicle and within visual contact?

renowned companies dedicate their time and investment before rolling out a new product...
(01-01-2012 02:27pm)pureevoque Wrote:  .... I can close my Windows by keyfob....

off topic... never discovered this feature.. how can you do that?

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 03:03pm by invoke.)
01-01-2012 02:54pm
paulus599

(01-01-2012 02:54pm)invoke Wrote:  well most likely its a bad R&D... on a "risk vs benefit" equation, the current mechanism has more risk than benefit... the door doesn't stop till cause some damage to the obstacle.. and with my above experience, its mind boggling why I cant close the door standing far from the vehicle and within visual contact?

renowned companies dedicate their time and investment before rolling out a new product...

Sorry, but that's just Censored. They have to design the system with safety as the main criteria. If they'd designed it the way that you wanted it there would be absolutely nothing to stop people closing the tailgate when they were not in visual contact (sods law principle - if it can happen, it will). In this case I think the designers and R&D people should be applauded, not slagged off just because someone can't be bothered to go round and push the button on the tailgate.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
01-01-2012 03:59pm
lngrn36

(01-01-2012 03:59pm)paulus599 Wrote:  Sorry, but that's just Censored. They have to design the system with safety as the main criteria. If they'd designed it the way that you wanted it there would be absolutely nothing to stop people closing the tailgate when they were not in visual contact (sods law principle - if it can happen, it will). In this case I think the designers and R&D people should be applauded, not slagged off just because someone can't be bothered to go round and push the button on the tailgate.
We've been driving our Chevy Equinox for some time now and I find that the indoor switch that opens and closes is very convenient. I haven't damaged any humans or animals in all the opening and closings. I would like a techy to program this feature for us that are careful when closing the hatch. Smile

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
01-01-2012 07:13pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pureevoque

(01-01-2012 02:54pm)invoke Wrote:  off topic... never discovered this feature.. how can you do that?

I don't have my evoque yet, this is in my VRS, would be great if the evoque did too, I just hold down lock for global closure and unlock for global open.

Won't say anymore on the tailgate otherwise paulus might burst something Laughing

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
01-01-2012 09:21pm
LDT

(01-01-2012 09:21pm)pureevoque Wrote:  Won't say anymore on the tailgate otherwise paulus might burst something Laughing

LaughingLaughing

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
01-01-2012 10:03pm
slee18

Mine stops and returns to the previous height of the tailgate and beeps to say there's a problem. I do agree that they should have integrated the close on the fob like most of the major brands

Here in the US we can't close the windows via the fob. It only opens the windows, similar to my Lexus. In the lexus if you the key to lock it will close the windows

Happy New Year
01-01-2012 10:23pm
invoke

(01-01-2012 03:59pm)paulus599 Wrote:  Sorry, but that's just Censored. They have to design the system with safety as the main criteria. If they'd designed it the way that you wanted it there would be absolutely nothing to stop people closing the tailgate when they were not in visual contact (sods law principle - if it can happen, it will). In this case I think the designers and R&D people should be applauded, not slagged off just because someone can't be bothered to go round and push the button on the tailgate.

Agree with with Uncle Sod. The scenario is same for opening or closing, both need visual, or one may scoop up any obstacle with the current feature. Bottom line is the fob should work both ways. I want to pat their ignorance's than applaud their achievement. Apologize if I offended you.

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 02:19pm by invoke.)
02-01-2012 02:11pm
paulus599

(01-01-2012 09:21pm)pureevoque Wrote:  Won't say anymore on the tailgate otherwise paulus might burst something Laughing

Very Happy Probably true! I def had my grumpy head on yesterday, no doubt due to a stonking great hangover. Still think it's a bit of a non issue tho.

(02-01-2012 02:11pm)invoke Wrote:  Agree with with Uncle Sod. The scenario is same for opening or closing, both need visual, or one may scoop up any obstacle with the current feature. Bottom line is the fob should work both ways. I want to pat their ignorance's than applaud their achievement. Apologize if I offended you.

Still don't agree (and no hangover today!). On opening, if there is an obstacle in the way, then the tailgate will tend to just push it out of the way. On closing, the obstacle will be hit by the edges of the tailgate or trapped between tailgate and car, I know which one I'd prefer! So no, the fob should not work both ways. No apology necessary by the way, nothing wrong with debating the point.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 03:27pm by paulus599.)
02-01-2012 03:17pm
Black Cat

Why would you need to close it by the fob other than being bored on the 3rd floor?
02-01-2012 05:08pm